Skip to content
Vaginal burning before period
Dahlia23 posted:
I've noticed in the 2 years that I have been off of my birth control pills (I believe that they may have been giving me migraines) that before my period I have vaginal burning a few days preceding my period. There is no discharge and no odor. I've also noticed that I retain a lot of water and urinate very little. I've read that progesterone level changes can be the culprit for vaginal burning before menstruation. Is this correct? And what can I do to help these problems? I'm already on a low sodium diet for my miniere's disease. Thank you for your time!

J_Harrison_Hohner responded:
Dear Dahlia: Both progesterone and estrogen levels are dropping in the 72 hours prior to onset of flow. Progesterone does have some mild diuretic qualities (ie like a very weak "water pill"), so your fluid retention MIGHT have something to do with progesterone. In my years running a Menstrual Disorders Program I did not encounter premenstrual vaginal burning as related to progesterone. Multiple literature searches at the National Library of Medicine site did not yield any information on this. Other POSSIBLE reasons for premenstrual burning might include: 1. Subclinical candida (vaginal yeast infections)--Given that yeast is part of both the gut and vaginal flora some women report more frequent yeast symptoms before menstruation. This may be due to the dampening of immune function attributed to progesterone.. 2. Temporary overgrowth of hydrogen peroxide producing lactobacill--This beneficial "good" vaginal bacteria can periodically overgrow producing an acidic, burning type of discharge. The vaginal pH then becomes more alkaline during menstruation. Here is one study which did look at vaginal changes across the menstrual cycle: Geburtshilfe Frauenheilkd. 1993 Aug;53(8):543-6.Links [Quantitative study of vaginal flora during the menstrual cycle>[Article in German> Voss A, Wallrauch-Schwarz C, Milatovic D, Braveny I, Johannigmann J, Hanke-Baier P. Abteilung für Infektionshygiene, Technischen Universität München, Klinikum rechts der Isar. The aerobic and facultatively anaerobic vaginal flora of 242 healthy women were examined during menstrual cycles. The most frequently isolated microorganisms at the first premenstrual examination were coagulase-negative staphylococci (61%), followed by enterococci (25%), Gardnerella vaginalis (19%), diphtheroids (12%), group B streptococci (6.8%), Escherichia coli (5.4%) and Candida spp. (4%). The isolation rate of all species, except Candida and Gardnerella vaginalis increased during menstruation. The lowest isolation rate for Staphylococcus aureus was 0.9% prior to menstruation and it increased to 7.6% during menstruation. This may be of relevance with regard to the toxic shock syndrome. Gardnerella vaginalis was isolated in 37% of women at least once during the study, suggesting, that this species belongs to the normal vaginal flora. Dahlia, for a more "for sure" diagnosis your best bet is to schedule a GYN visit during the type you will have the symptoms. The GYN can check for yeast, look for increased lactobacilli ("cytolytic vaginitis"), and do a vaginal pH. Yours, Jane

Helpful Tips

periods
why is my blood dark at the beginning of my period ? More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.