Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Can I eat deer meat when pregnant?
tbaxley posted:
I am 16 1/2 weeks pregnant with my 3rd child and I recently heard that you are not supposed to eat deer meat or any 'wild game' when you are pregnant? I've never been a big deer meat eater before, but this year my husband and son managed to bring some home from a hunting trip. Can someone help clarify this for me? I'm having a really hard time thinking that deer meat is worse for me and the baby than store bought meat that has been injected with tons of preservatives and steriods. Plus, if the meat has been properly frozen and then cooked properly, wouldn't that kill any possible bacteria or parasites?

FCL responded:
Like all other meats, it's perfectly safe as long as it has been cooked through. The risk with venison (as with pork, etc.) is for toxoplasmosis. This is eliminated with proper cooking. There's no more bacteria in venison than there is in beef and, as you said, it won't have all the chemicals and hormones of beef. Good grief, it's completely organic meat! If in doubt about the cooking, just do stews :smile: Bon appetit !

dnbmccann responded:
LOL I think deer meat is the healthiest most organic you can get! I have had two VERY healthy babies and all I eat is deer meat(venison) because it is free and so much healthier than beef or pork bought at the store. Just make sure it is cooked like FCL said. I butchered and ate deer with both boys and they were healthy as could be! Good luck.

Helpful Tips

extended period
I have had a period for almost three weeks. The first week was normal with a lot of cramping. The second week was like when you are almost ... More
Was this Helpful?
50 of 100 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.