Includes Expert Content
An_247618 posted:
For the last 3 months my period has been coming on early and going off early. it usually last 7 days but now last 5 to 6 days. My period use to come on every 28 days but now i think its 26 days. I have been off of birth control for a year and some months now my period was normal intill it start changing 3 months ago. What can the cause of it changing be?
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful
Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear An: Given that your flow was normal for you until three months ago after stopping birth contro,l I would really doubt that this was a persisting effect of the hormones in your birth control. From what you have shared your recent flows are regular, happen every 26 days, and now are 5-6 days long. Hope I am tracking your correctly.

A normal period is usually considered to be between 21-35 days apart, and should last no longer than 7 days. Thus your new pattern is still considered to be within normal limits. So what might make your cycles suddenly change? First, you should rule out an undetected pregnancy. Second, a problem with the pituitary gland can make flows get lighter and/or more erratic. Third, if you are in your 40's the aging ovaries can make cycles start arriving closer together.

Bottom line, if your cycles continue to get closer together and/or lighter you should take your menstrual calendar and see your GYN or local family planning clinic. You can also choose to make a consult appointment with your GYN now for a more "for sure" answer.