Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Weight loss after pregnancy
Dana_Marie posted:
I had baby number 2 6 months ago and still cannot lose any pregnancy weight. I read hints and tips on the Internet but it is all contradictory. Where is a good source for me to use for geneeral weight loss and diet help?
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear Dana_Marie: HRSAemp has given excellent advice. Women may regard retained "baby weight" as a minor hassle, but there can be longer term impacts.

Rooney and Schauberger (2002) found that women who gained more weight than recommended by the National Institute of Medicine during pregnancy were significantly heavier at follow-up 10 years later. Likewise, those that failed to lose the weight gained during pregnancy by 6 months postpartum were at greater risk of retaining the weight long term. On average, subjects that gained more than the recommended weight were 18 pounds heavier than their pre-pregnancy weight after 10 years. In contrast, those that did lose the weight gained in pregnancy weighed an average of 5 pounds more than their pre-pregnant weight.

As you can note Dana_Marie, most women tend to slowly gain weight over time. But postpartum weight can make the weight gain steeper. We laud you for taking steps to lose some of the baby weight with healthy diet and exercise. Heaven knows it can be hard to exercise with two young children, but it is super important (and it sets a good example for your kids).

Lastly, if you are having continued struggles you might want to see your OB/GYN about a referral to a dietitian. If your are on the WIC program, there is usually a registered dietitian associated with WIC.

Congrats on your new baby--and your resolve to lose the unwanted weight.

In Support,
Jane

Helpful Tips

Weight loss after pregnancy
I had baby number 2 6 months ago and still cannot lose any pregnancy weight. I read hints and tips on the Internet but it is all ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.