Skip to content
Hysterectomy
Penyju posted:
I recently had a da vinci style hysterectomy and the doctor told me that intercourse was to be avoided for 9 weeks. Does this seem excessive or is that a standard amount of time? Especially when I am told I can go back to full physical labor at work after 6 weeks.
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Anon_596 responded:
9 weeks is pretty much the norm to allow proper healing and so on. Internally things take longer to heal than externally. Infections are also a concern here.

Anon_6061 responded:
I thought 6 weeks was the typical timeframe. However, I know of women whose vaginal cuff incision "burst open" with intercourse so you should heed your doctor's advice on this. According to a study, this bursting of the incision (dehiscence) is rare but "may occur more frequently with robotic total laparoscopic hysterectomy" - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2896382/.

Helpful Tips

Weight loss after pregnancy
I had baby number 2 6 months ago and still cannot lose any pregnancy weight. I read hints and tips on the Internet but it is all ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.