Skip to content
Thickened endometrial lining
carebear52 posted:
Hi I am 52, stopped my periods 5 months ago - assumed menopause, feeling very bloated for the past 3 months - doc ordered hormone test - all show I am not in menopause - ordered ultrasound - showed thickened endometrium at 2.3 cm. Uterus measures 10.5 X 4.6 X 5.9 cm; right ovary fine - left ovary not seen. Prescribed 10 days of Prometrium with follow up in 6 wks with another ultrasound and an endometrial biopsy. My question - why not just do the biopsy now just to rule out cancer - doc said would like to shed the lining first with hormone pills. Any women with similar issues??
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Anon_6061 responded:
Your doctor's treatment plan sounds reasonable to me. The thickened lining is indicative of having gone awhile without a period. It's not unusual in the years leading up to menopause to miss periods, sometimes for months (even close to a year) at a time. You aren't considered menopausal until you've gone a full 12 months without a period.

It's not unusual for the uterine lining to have periods of abnormal thickness during this time of irregular cycles. But the lining usually returns to a normal thickness by the time menopause comes around.

Here are some links that may be helpful:
http://radiographics.rsna.org/content/21/6/1409.full - Imaging the endometrium
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0004365/ - Endometrial biopsy

bzistbee responded:
I had been havin eratic periods all my life.When i became a adult i went to my gyno and he said i have endometriosis so i had sergury to remove all that old dryed blood and found i have polycystic ovary syndrom also so they cut out my cyst caked ovary and tube and the endo.so im doin better now,but still feel alittle tired.

Helpful Tips

itching
several years ago I had this same problem...intense itching in the vaginal area, but no discharge or odor. I saw several doctors who said i ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.