Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Left Ventricular Non Compaction
kmcorby posted:
My son was diagnosed with this heart condition a year ago. Does anyone know what the prognosis is for this disease? Also, what does it mean if CO2 and bilirubin levels are too high and Chloride and Anion Gap levels are too low?

James_Beckerman_MD responded:
This is an extremely uncommon cardiac condition that can affect kids and adults - because it's so uncommon, we don't know much about the best way to treat it or what the prognosis might be. It is likely that the prognosis is based to some extent on the heart function of the particular person. It's probably best to get an assessment of prognosis from your son's doctor who knows his particular situation the best.

CardiostarUSA1 responded:
Hi Kim:

Prognosis (the likely outcome of one's condition and treatment, i.e., the chances of getting better and how long one is likely to live) is a variable, as everyone is unique, with each and every health/medical situation/case being different, though more and more individuals with serious congenital (born with it) or acquired (in life) cardiovascular medical conditions are living longer than ever before thanks to modern medicine, innovative medical technology, and those marvelous doctors who know how to use it.

About left ventricular noncompaction (also known as "spongy myocardium")

The heart muscle (myocardium) does not completely mature during development, and as a result, the muscle fibers literally do not appear to have tightly come together or compacted together. The actual muscle is sponge, like with spaces in it. The typical result of this malformation is that the heart does not pump normally, and this can result in heart failure.

Other issues surround rhythm disturbances which include ventricular tachycardia (VT) and the formation of blood clots within the heart that can move (embolize) and possibly cause a brain attack (stroke).

VT is a type of fast heart rate which is potentially dangerous (especially if/when it becomes sustained). This type of rhythm is usually associated with serious forms of heart disease, and its treatment is primarily determined by the type of heart disease present. It appears as being commonly associated with noncompaction of the myocardium.

Regarding lab test results that are too high and too low, this should be directly discussed with your son's doctors.

For good general info-only, check out:

Lab Tests Online

www.labtestsonline.org/understanding/index.html

The very best of luck to your son down the road of life. May he live long and prosper.

Take care,

CardioStar☆

WebMD community member (8/99)

-

-

☑Be well-informed

Medical Individuality

It's surprising that many out there do not realize or understand that no two individuals are exactly alike, thus the response to treatment also varies (sometimes greatly) from one individual to another.

As Applicable

LVNC

As reported, left ventricular noncompaction cardiomyopathy (LVNC) is considered as being a rare, distinct type of heart muscle disease. As in other CMs, the clinical sigins and symptoms include systolic (heart's pumping phase) and diastolic (heart's resting phase) dysfunction, sometimes associated with an irregular heartbeat (arrhythmia) and systemic embolic (embolism, embolized, traveled to from another location, e.g., blood clot) events.

The mechanisms that lead to LVNC are unclear but genetic predisposition has been suggested. The search for genes associated with LVNC is ongoing. Treatment depends on the functional abnormalities (e.g., heart failure) and associated comorbidities, including systemic embolism and irregular heartbeat. Aspirin therapy is recommended for patients to reduce the risk of systemic embolism.

-

☞LEARN ABOUT the Heart

WebMD

The Heart: (Human Anatomy) Pictures, Definition, Location in the Body and Heart Problems

www.webmd.com/heart/picture-of-the-heart

WebMD Health/The Cleveland Clinic

How the Healthy Heart Works

Arteries, Chambers, Valves

www.webmd.com/heart-disease/healthy-heart-works

Your-Doctor

How the Heart Pumps

Animated Tutorial

your-doctor.com/healthinfocenter/medical-conditions/cardiovascular/heartpump-tutorial.html

-

"Be a questioning patient. Talk to your doctor and ask questions. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!"

- Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society

☛WebMD/WebMD message boards does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.

kmcorby responded:
Thank you all for your insight. He was just at the cardiologist on Tuesday and we were told his heart is very weak. His ejection fraction is only 20%. We were also told that he probably would not be eligible for a heart transplant because he is autistic. We just continue to live day-by-day and keep our fingers crossed that it won't come to that. If anyone finds out anything new, please let me know.

kmcorby responded:
My son was having dizzy spells yesterday but seems fine today. How worried should I be when he has these spells?

James_Beckerman_MD responded:
It sounds like an incredibly challenging situation - I really feel for all of you guys, and wish him and all the rest of his family the best.

Decreased heart function can commonly be associated with dizziness - this can occur from low blood pressure, decreased oxygen/blood flow to the brain from the decreased heart function, medications, and abnormal heart rhythms. It's a good idea to share what's going on with his doctor so that everyone can make sure that he's on the right medications and that his BP is not getting too low. Take care.

Zanesmommy8112 replied to kmcorby's response:
HI,I just got diagnosied with this condition last year. My mom, little brother and I all have it. My brother just turned 18 and he is also autistic and his heart is very bad as well and they were talking about giveing him a pacemaker in the future or if it got worse they were talking about maybe haveing to give him a heart transplant. I dont know where you live but in circleville, ohio there is a great cardiologist my mom and I both see and his name is doctor Lamb. He has us all on beta blockers and I still dont feel great but the medicine helps alot. I'm not sure what all medicines my brother is on but I could see if you want. They only found out about my condition because I had my son last year and it was to much stress on my heart and I almost died haveing him. I'm sorry your son has this condition and I see you've wrote this 4years ago but I hope hes ok and doing alot better.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Free Q&A: Heart Disease and Stress Management (2/10/11)
Hello! Lancaster General Health in Lancaster, PA is hosting a free online Q&A session on "Heart Disease and Stress Management" on ... More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 13 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center