Skip to content
Chest Pain and Tingling in Arm
BookaT087 posted:
Hey there, I have been experiencing a very subtle, but annoying chest pain/tightness in the left side of my chest for the past few days now. The first day I just figured it was a cramp of some sort since I had done a rather extensive chest excercise earlier that day, but as it continued and kept getting more annoying as the days went on I have started to become somewhat concerned. The strangest thing of all is the tingling feeling I have been having in my left arm that comes along with the pain occasionally. I am only twenty one years old and would hope that I am too young to be having any sort of serious heart issues as I exercise regularly, but I do know that anything is possible. I have been doing some research on my own trying to figure out what is going on and I have read anything talking about angina to simply a lot of gas (my personal hope, I would love to be able to get rid of the pain just by farting, ha). Unfortunately I don't see how it could be gas since it has been ongoing for the past four or so days now. It really only comes around when I lay down to go to sleep and it keeps me up at night, so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I plan on paying the doctor a visit soon. -Thanks!

CardiostarUSA1 responded:
Hi: Concerned no doubt. b "I plan on paying the doctor a visit soon" The sooner the better. Chest (thoracic) area (right, left, upper, lower, side) symptoms, which includes pain, pressure, discomfort, or tightness, stationary or radiating elsewhere, with or without accompanying symptoms, has various causes, cardiac and non-cardiac, which includes, but is not limited to, pulmonary, gastrointestinal (in which sometimes, symptoms can occur mostly, or only, when lying down), musculoskeletal, and psychological/psychogenic. Additionally, of the various types/kinds of heart conditions, some which can at occur at ANY AGE, symptoms may/can be acute (occurring suddenly), be chronic (occurring over a long period of time), come and go (be transient, fleeting or episodic) or even be silent. ALWAYS be proactive in your health care and treatment. Best of luck down the road of life. Live long and prosper. Take care, CardioStar☆ WebMD community member (8/99) - - b ☑Be well-informed MedlinePlus - Trusted Health Info for You b Chest pain www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003079.htm Mayo Clinic b Chest pain www.mayoclinic.com/health/chest-pain/DS00016 eMedicine Health b Chest pain www.emedicinehealth.com/chest_pain/article_em.htm - i Non-cardiac chest pain b Musculoskeletal-related The chest contains many muscles, bones, tendons, and cartilage and strains or sprains to any of these may/can can cause chest pain. Chest pain associated with musculoskeletal injury is typically sharp and confined to a specific area of the chest. The pain may/can be brought on by movement of the chest and/or arms into certain positions, and often is relieved by changing position. The pain may/can be triggered off by pushing on part of the chest and often become worse when taking a deep breath. Though the pain typically last only seconds, it may/can also persist for days or longer. If/when chest pain increases when you press your finger on the painful site, or if you can pinpoint the spot that hurts, it is most likely chest wall-related pain, which may/can be caused by strained muscles or ligaments or even by a fractured rib. i BCWP/TBCWP b Benign chest wall pain/Transitory benign chest wall pain This pain may/can be brief or fleeting and often described as being sharp. - WebMD b Heart Disease TYPES Men & Women i Acquired or Congenital www.webmd.com/heart-disease/heart-disease-men SYMPTOMS www.webmd.com/heart-disease/guide/heart-disease-symptoms Mayo Clinic b Heart Disease Definition. Symptoms. Causes. Risk factors. Complications. Tests and diagnosis. Treatments and drugs. Prevention.... Heart disease is a broad term used to describe a range of diseases that affect your heart, and in some cases, your blood vessels. The various diseases that fall under the ☆ of...... www.mayoclinic.com/health/heart-disease/DS01120 - b HeartSite ☞Heart info, cardiac tests (commonly performed, mainstream types) info, actual diagnostic images www.heartsite.com - - OptumHealth Making the Most of Your Doctor Visits b 14 Tips to Make Your Doctor Visits a Success www.myoptumhealth.com/portal/Health+Hubs/item/Making+the+Most+of+Your+Doctor+Visits HealingWell b You and Your Doctor: It Takes Two to Tango Your medical care is a TWO WAY street...... www.healingwell.com/library/health/article.asp?author=salvucci&id=5 i Quote "Be a questioning patient. Talk to your doctor and ask questions. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!" - Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society . It's your future......be there. :-) :cool: . . b ☛WebMD/WebMD message boards does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.

James_Beckerman_MD responded:
The most likely situation is that it is musculoskeletal from your workout a few days ago. Heart diseas is very uncommon in your age group, but seeing a doc seems like a good idea - just to get checked out! Take care - JB

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Nix Grapefruit & Statin DrugsExpert
Grapefruit & statin drugs can be a bad combination. Unlike other citrus fruits, grapefruit contains substances that disable certain ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 15 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center