Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Mediport catheter through heart
dian67 posted:
Dear Dr., I am a 42 year old woman who recently had a broekn catheter line from my mediport travel through my heart. It became lodged between the right ventricle and pulmonary artery. I under went two heart cath procedures to attempt to retieve it. After two days I was sent to another hospital where they were able to get it out without open heart surgery. However, I have since started to have multiple palpitations and arythmias. The thing is that my holter showed odd results that I am not getting any clear answers on. I would indicate that I was having symptoms and nothing was noted on my strip until 10 minutes later. It was very consistent. At some points my heart rate would climb to 147. I am a very active person. I have never smoked. I had my port for TPN as a result of a surgical injury which required 90 % of my colon to be removed. I am very tired and have recently started to have severe leg swelling, especially after being on my feet for a long time.. I have also started to notice that I have blueish finger nail beds. I greatly appreciate any thing you could offer as far as your opinion. Thank You, Dian

James_Beckerman_MD responded:
I strongly recommend that you let your doctor know about these symptoms, particularly the leg swelling and blue fingernails, which could be signs of right sided congestive heart failure or even a shunt in the heart that may have occurred. Further testing (such as an echocardiogram) appears warranted.

dian67 responded:
Thank you and I will. However, I was alway under the impression that a shunt is something that is implanted and not something that occurs. Am I mistaken?

James_Beckerman_MD responded:
Maybe I should clarify. There are surgically placed shunts (which really means a "communication between two structures") and there are shunts that we can be born with (like atrial septal defects) and then there are shunts that can occur (if a piece of your catheter damaged part of your heart and created a hole where one was not present previously. Does that make more sense?

dian67 responded:
Yes, it does. Thank you again for your assistance. I have been having further trouble but have been told it is costochondritis (sp?). All I know is that it is painful! I have been told that it's probably a result of the chest trauma and the extreme amount of radiation my chest sustained during the procedures to retrieve the broken catheter.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Nix Grapefruit & Statin DrugsExpert
Grapefruit & statin drugs can be a bad combination. Unlike other citrus fruits, grapefruit contains substances that disable certain ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 15 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center