Skip to content
LEFT CAROTID 50% BLOCKED
THEOBOONE posted:
:confused: Doppler last week shows left carotid 50% blocked. Dr. says no corrective action indicated at this time and we will look at it again next year. Can this blockage cause me to be narcoleptic? I fall asleep at inappropriate times and have no control over this sleepiness.

CardiostarUSA1 responded:
Hi: b "Can this blockage cause me to be narcoleptic?" It's unlikely. The main goals now is to stop the blockage (stenosis) from increasing, or plaque breaking off, to prevent a TIA or brain attack (stroke) from occurring sometime down the road. Also, carotid artery disease is often indicative of coronary artery disease (CAD). Along with diet and lifestyle modifications/changes (as an interventional procedure on the carotid arteries is ususally not peformed on blockages at 50%), typical drug therapy includes aspirin and a statin (e.g., Lipitor, Crestor). Keep ALL known modifiable risk factors for cardiovascular disease (which actually begins very early in life, even as early as in the pre-teen/teenage years) closely in-check. ALWAYS be proactive in your health care and treatment. Most important, communicate/interact well with your doctors. Take care, CardioStar☆ WebMD community member (8/99) - - b ☑Be well-informed Mayo Clinic b Narcolepsy www.mayoclinic.com/health/narcolepsy/DS00345/DSECTION=causes - Your Total Health b Carotid artery disease [Patient guide> Summary. About carotid artery disease. Risk factors and causes. Signs and symptoms. Treatment...... b Questions for your doctor. Carotid artery disease is a type of peripheral arterial disease in which there is "hardening of the arteries" (atherosclerosis) in the carotid arteries. These arteries, which lie in the neck, carry oxygen-rich blood to the brain. When an individual develops this condition, these vital arteries can become...... yourtotalhealth.ivillage.com/carotid-artery-disease.html Texas Heart Institute b Carotid artery disease w/illustrations/photos Carotid artery disease is a form of disease that affects the vessels leading to the head and brain (cerebrovascular disease). Like the heart, the brain's cells need a constant supply of oxygen-rich blood...... b Who is at risk for carotid artery disease and stroke? What are the symptoms of carotid artery disease? How is carotid artery disease diagnosed? How is carotid artery disease treated? www.texasheart.org/HIC/Topics/Cond/CarotidArteryDisease.cfm - Good to know, for the primary and secondary prevention of heart attack and brain attack/stroke Epidemiologic studies have revealed risk factors for atherosclerosis (typically affects coronary, carotid, peripheral arteries), which includes, age, gender, genetics (gene deletion, malfunction, mutation), diabetes (considered as being the highest risk factor), smoking (also secondhand), inactivity, obesity (a global epidemic), high blood pressure, diet high in fat, saturated fat and cholesterol, high LDL, high Lp(a), high ApoB, high Lp-PLA2, high triglycerides, LOW HDL (less than 40 mg/dL, an HDL level of 60/65 mg/dL or more is considered protective against dreaded coronary artery disease), high homocysteine, high C-reactive protein (CRP/hs-CRP), etc. b _ ._ b ♥-Healthy Foods i It's never too late to start ☞Avoid foods high in saturated fat and cholesterol. Choose skim or low-fat milk, low-fat yogurt and reduced-fat cheeses. Eat more fish and poultry. Limit servings to five to seven ounces a day. Trim visible fat. Limit egg yolks. Substitute two egg whites for one whole egg or use an egg-substitute. Eat more fruits and vegetables, whole grains, breads and cereals. Use less salt and fat. Season with herbs and spices rather than with sauces, gravies and butter. b _ . _ MSNBC The Today Show - Archives b How to eat your way to cardiovascular wellness - 1/26/06 In 'The Road to a Healthy Heart Runs Through the Kitchen', Joseph C. Piscatella offers nutritional analysis and recipes. Read an excerpt. msnbc.msn.com/id/11044374 . It's your future......be there. :-) . . b ☛WebMD/WebMD message boards does not provide medical advice.

James_Beckerman_MD responded:
A 50% blockage is extremely unlikely to be symptomatic, and I'm not aware of any associations with narcolepsy.

Jay_Boy replied to James_Beckerman_MD's response:
Hi Dr James,
I had a Duplex ultrasound (bilateral Carotid arteries), the results came up as 50-69% stenosis in the left carotid and less than 50% in the right. I followed up with a Carotid CT Angiogram (with Dye). The radiologists said that both Carotid were 'Unremarkable'. How is this possible that between two proven tests, there is such a difference (going from 50-69% to no stenosis?).
Please advise as the cardiologist isn't responding to my calls to try to explain to me why the numbers vary so much. Thanks in advance

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Omega 3 (Harp Seal Oil): One of the Best Supplement for Heart Diseases
Omega 3 is a must for Heart Disease, especially Harp Seal Oil Omega3. More Info(Harp Seal Oil vs. Fish Oil) I prefer canadian products ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center