Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
How many PVC'S a day is normal?
Operator22 posted:
I am only 26 years old and I have a high stress job and have had very stressful personal life situations occuring also lately. I have had PVCs in the past but rarely. I am now having 10 to 30 a day now. Should I be concerned??

CardiostarUSA1 responded:
Hi: The most common type of palpitations, premature ventricular contractions (PVCs, occurs even in many ♥-healthy individuals), described that the heart is flip-flopping, fluttering, jumping, pausing or stopping briefly (though it's actually not doing that), pounding, skipping, thumping, or strong, hard, or forceful beats being felt in the chest, neck, throat, has various causes or triggers (includes stress). b "I have had PVCs in the past but rarely. I am now having 10 to 30 a day now. Should I be concerned??" In general-only here, PVCs are typically harmless/benign, be it isolated (single), couplets (2-in-row), triplets (3-in-a-row) or salvos (short bursts of 3 or more in-a-row), bigeminy (occurring every other beat), trigeminy (occurring every third beat), quadrigeminy (occurring every fourth beat), etc. HOWEVER, the main problem or concern (even more so, much more emphasized for those with certain major or serious heart conditions) with PVCs is when sustained ventricular tachycardia (runs of PVCs over 30 seconds) occurs. ALSO, non-sustained ventricular tachycardia (runs of PVCs under 30 seconds, but typically not salvos) may/can become serious as well if it occurs frequently (episodes are grouped closely/tightly together). ADDITIONALLY, of the different types of heart conditions, various symptoms can be acute (occurring suddenly), be chronic (occurring over a long period of time), come and go (be transient, fleeting or episodic, such as an irregular heartbeat, requiring the use of a Holter monitor or event recorder at home and during daily activities), or even be silent. Best of luck down the road of life. Take care, CardioStar☆ WebMD community member (8/99) - - b ☑Be well-informed Your Total Health - NBC/ivillage b Premature Ventricular Contractions [Patient education guide> yourtotalhealth.ivillage.com/premature-ventricular-contractions.html MedicineNet - We Brting Doctors' Knowledge to You b Palpitations www.medicinenet.com/Palpitations/article.htm eHealthMD b Palpitations www.ehealthmd.com/library/palpitations/PAL_whatis.html - i LEARN ABOUT the heart's delicate and precise electrical conduction system Your-doctor com b Animated Tutorial your-doctor.com/healthinfocenter/medical-conditions/cardiovascular/conductiontutorial.html Heart Rhythm Society b Patients and Public Info Center www.hrspatients.org - WebMD b Heart Disease TYPES Men and Women i Acquired in life or congenital (born with it) www.webmd.com/heart-disease/heart-disease-men b Heartr Disease SYMPTOMS www.webmd.com/heart-disease/guide/heart-disease-symptoms Mayo Clinic b Heart Disease Definition. Symptoms. Causes. Risk factors. Complications. Tests and diagnosis. Prevention...... Heart disease is a broad term used to describe a range of diseases that affect your heart, and in some cases, your blood vessels. The various diseases that fall under the ☂ of...... www.mayoclinic.com/health/heart-disease/DS01120 b HeartSite ☞Heart info, cardiac tests (common types) info, actual diagnostic images. www.heartsite.com - - OptumHealth b Making the Most of Your Doctor Visits 14 Tips to Make Your Doctor Visits a Success www.myoptumhealth.com/portal/Health+Hubs/item/Making+the+Most+of+Your+Doctor+Visits HealingWell b You and Your Doctor: It Takes Two to Tango Your medical care is a two way street...... www.healingwell.com/library/health/article.asp?author=salvucci&id=5 i Quote "Be a questioning patient. Talk to your doctor and ask questions. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!" - Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society . It's your future......be there. :-) :cool:

James_Beckerman_MD responded:
There is not a "normal" number of PVCs, but the majority of people have some. I see many patients with structurally normal hearts and no significant symptoms who have many more than 10 to 30 a day.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Mediterranean DietGuest Expert
The Mediterranean diet has long been recognized as a booster of heart health. It is linked to lower risks of heart disease, stroke, ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 11 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center