Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
I have 1st degree AV Block
JaniceTB posted:
A routine EKG with my primary care physician shows a 1st Degree heart block. Does this mean that I automatically will progress to 2nd and 3rd degree? I am a otherwise very healthy and fit 64 year old woman who works out regularly and eats right. I wish I knew what caused this so if it is something I can change (so it doesn't progress) I want to do that. Can I continue my normal exercise routine which involves step classes, running, etc.

JaniceTB responded:
I should also add that the EKG also said I have "Poor R Wave progression." I have no idea what that is. :confused:

CardiostarUSA1 responded:
Hi: i "Poor R wave progression" As reported, a number of conditions may/can be associated with poor R wave progression (PRWP), which includes left ventricular hypertrophy (LVH, thickening of the wall of the left ventricle), right ventricular hypertrophy (RVH, thickening of the wall of the right ventricle), pulmonary disease (i.e., COPD, chronic asthma), anterior (front wall) or anteroseptal (front/septum) infarction (heart attack), electrical conduction abnormalities (i.e., left bundle branch block, left anterior hemiblock, intraventricular conduction delay), cardiomyopathy (heart muscle disease), chest wall deformity, normal variant, and electrocardiogram (ECG) lead misplacement. i "Shows a 1st degree heart block." i "Does this mean that I automatically will progress to......" Not necessarily. i "Can I continue my normal exercise routine......" Most likely yes, as only directed by your doctor. b ☒Good general info - Heart Rhythm Society Patient Information Center b Heart Block Types of Heart Block First-degree heart block (also called first-degree AV block). The electrical impulses are slowed as they pass through the conduction system, but all of them successfully reach the ventricles. ☞First-degree heart block rarely causes any symptoms or problems, and well-trained athletes may have this. Medications can contribute to the condition. No treatment is generally necessary for first degree heart block www.hrspatients.org/patients/heart_disorders/heart_block.asp American ♥ Association - Learn and Live b Heart Block What is first-degree heart block? First-degree heart block, or first-degree AV block, is when the electrical impulse moves through the AV node more slowly than normal. The time it takes for the impulse to get from the atria to the ventricles (the PR interval) should be less than about 0.2 seconds. If it takes longer than this, it's called first-degree heart block. Heart rate and rhythm are normal, and there may be nothing wrong with the heart. Certain heart medicines such as digitalis can slow conduction of the impulse from the atria to the ventricles and cause first-degree AV block. Also, well-trained athletes may have it. ☞Generally, no treatment is necessary for first-degree heart block. www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4611 . Most important, communicate/interact well with your doctor(s). Best of luck down the road of life. Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! Take care, CardioStar☆ WebMD community member (8/99) - - It's your future......be there. :-) . b ☛WebMD/WebMD message boards does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.

James_Beckerman_MD responded:
Most people who have first degree heart block are asymptomatic and don't get into trouble later. I would generally consider it an incidental finding. Unfortunately there is nothing that you can do to avoid future changes in your heart's electrical system if they are destined to be. But it is generally unlikely.

Ruth1Rose replied to James_Beckerman_MD's response:
Hello! I just received my EKG result and saw a Sinus Bradycardia with 3rd degree AV block. I am asymptomatic.What happened?

CardiostarUSA1 replied to Ruth1Rose's response:
Hi:

"Sinus Bradycardia with 3rd degree AV block"

"Am asymptomatic"

"What happened?"

Most important, communicate/interact well with your doctors.

Take care,

C-Star*

-

-

Interesting reading material for inquirin' minds

UCLA

A Slow and Quiet Day on the Block: A Case of Third-Degree Heart Block Presenting as Asymptomatic Bradycardia

1. Recognize asymptomatic bradycardia as a rare presentation of third-degree heart block in adults

2. Review the various presentations and underlying etiologies of third-degree heart block

3. Understand the indications for pacemaker placement in patients with third-degree heart block

Asymptomatic third-degree heart block in adults is extremely rare.

http://www.med.ucla.edu/modules/wfsection/article.php?articleid=438

It's your future......be there. :-)

WebMD/WebMD Health Exchanges does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.

jdhebaron replied to James_Beckerman_MD's response:
Hi Doctor:

I had one ECG that said I have Sinus Bradycardia with 1st degree AV block and a later one with Normal sinus rhythm. Sometimes I do feel like a valve is not closing and some extra thumping is going on. It sometimes happens when I run (I'm a competitive runner), more likely going upstairs or just getting up from sitting, but sometimes even when I sit. The latter is less likely. There is some left atrial enlargement on the ECG but the echo showed normal. I have trace regurgitation in my Mitral. Mild regurgitation in my Tricuspid. And now they say I have trace regurgitation in my Pulmonic valve. Aortic, except for some valve thickness, is normal. Lastly I just read that if my QT is less than 500 then maybe I shouldn't be competitive. My last one was 420/459. What do you think?

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Nix Grapefruit & Statin DrugsExpert
Grapefruit & statin drugs can be a bad combination. Unlike other citrus fruits, grapefruit contains substances that disable certain ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 15 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center