Skip to content
Rapid Heart Rate when Standing
pilatesgirl24 posted:
Hi, I'm a twenty-five year old female in good overall health (aside from some recent digestive/bowel problems). I am normal weight (5'4" and 115 lbs.), I eat healthy foods, I exercise, and I don't smoke, do drugs, or drink alcohol. Lately, I've noticed that when I stand up after waking in the morning, my pulse is beating hard and faster than usual (anywhere from 85-110 bmp). When I'm seated, it usually runs somewhere in the 70s. I don't think I'm dehydrated, as I try to drink about eight glasses of water per day, and my urine is often clear/light yellow ,even in the morning. Today, I took my pulse throughout the day just to monitor things. Although it went down from 110 when I woke up, it was still significantly higher when I stood up throughout the day (i.e. after lunch it was 72 when seated and 98 when standing). I also felt a bit short of breath during the day, and I had a headache at tiems. Is this anything to be concerned about? I just started on Protonix for GERD, but other than that no med changes. Thanks so much!

CardiostarUSA1 responded:
Hi: b "Also felt a bit short of breath during the day, and I had a headache at times." b "Is this anything to be concerned about?" Yes, of course. When most individuals stand up, their heart rate (HR) rises accordingly, though at the extreme, as applicable, some individuals have a specific condition known as Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS). Those with POTS can exhibit a rapid increase in HR rate during the first 10 minutes of standing. Normal resting range heart rate (HR) in adults is 60-100 beats per minute (BPM). Average resting H/P rate in men is 72-78 BPM and in women is 78-84 BPM. Over 100 BPM is tachycardia (fast heartbeat). b Priority-selected info is provided below. ALWAYS be proactive in your health care and treatment. Most important, communicate/interact well with your doctors. Best of luck down the road of life. Live long and prosper. Take care CardioStar* WebMD community member (8/99) - - b Be well-informed Tachycardia (heart rate over 100 BPM) may/can be part of the body's normal response to fever, stress, anxiety, rapid blood loss, or strenuous exercise (in this situation, it is obviously expected). It also may/can be caused by medical problems/conditions, such as hyperthyroidism, or by an adrenal gland tumor (pheochromocytoma). In some individuals, tachycardia is the result of a cardiac arrhythmia (a heart-generated abnormality of heart rate or rhythm), blocked or narrowed arteries due to coronary artery disease, or a heart valve abnormality. Tachycardia may/can also be caused by lung problems, such as pneumonia or a blood clot in one of the lung's arteries. In other cases, tachycardia can be a side effect of some drugs (prescription and over-the-counter), foods (which includes additives and preservatives), and drinks, including coffee, tea, alcohol and chocolate, tobacco or drugs. Additionally, paroxysmal surpraventricular tachycardia (PSVT) usually causes a typically frightening burst in heart rate that begins suddenly and ends suddenly (the "P" in paroxysmal), which can last for just mere seconds, or it can continue on for minutes to hours to days. Supraventricular tachycardia (SVT) is a broad term that includes various forms of an arrhythmia originating above (supra) the ventricles (the heart's lower pumping chambers). SVT can send the heart into speeds up to 150-200 BPM, and sometimes, even as high as 300 BPM. Symptoms may/can accompany tachycardia, such as as chest pain/discomfort/pressure/tightness, breathing difficulty, lightheadedness or dizziness, and syncope (includes passing out or fainting). - i As Applicable b POTS - An overview www.dinet.org/pots_an_overview.htm - WebMD/Cleveland Clinic b Heart Disease: Abnormal Heart Rhythm What are the types of arrhythmias? www.webmd.com/content/pages/9/1675_57832.htm Cleveland Clinic Heart & Vascular Institute b Management of Arrhythmias (Abnormal Heartbeats) w/ECG images www.clevelandclinic.org/heartcenter/pub/guide/disease/electric/arrhythmia.htm i LEARN ABOUT the heart's delicate and precise electrical conduction system HeartSite b Heart Electrical Activity www.heartsite.com/html/electrical_activity.html Your-doctor com b Animated Tutorial your-doctor.com/healthinfocenter/medical-conditions/cardiovascular/conductiontutorial.html Heart Rhythm Society b Patients and Public Information Center www.hrspatients.org - WebMD b Types of Heart Disease my.webmd.com/content/pages/9/1675_57860.htm b SYMPTOMS Learn to recognize your symptoms and the...... my.webmd.com/content/pages/9/1675_57855.htm Mayo Clinic Cardiovascular Disease 101 Get a basic overview of...... www.mayoclinic.com/health/cardiovascular-disease/HB00032 . b It's your future......be there. :-) :cool:

pilatesgirl24 responded:
Thank you so much for all of this abundant and very useful info! I will definitely monitor things and call my doctor. Much appreciated. :smile:

pilatesgirl24 responded:
Went to the doctor yesterday. She told me I'm probably dehydrated and instructed me to drink Pedialyte. I drank a liter of the stuff along with more water than I ever thought my body could hold. I don't think I could possibly be dehydrated at this point. Still, my pulse is going up between 20 and 30 points when I stand, so it's back to see the doctor today.

gna1980 responded:
i would love to hear what the doctor comes back with. you described exactly what i am going through (even the protonix - crazy!) :) i just finished an echo and an exercise stress test. the doctor even noticed how when i stood up, my heart rate went from 75 to 95/100.

xtremez2k responded:
hi pilatesgirl24, i was wondering if it may be possible to discuss how u have been doing since u noticed these problems and what you have been doing since? im going through the exact same thing except a few more problems its driving me crazy lol. thanks Waqas

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Nix Grapefruit & Statin DrugsExpert
Grapefruit & statin drugs can be a bad combination. Unlike other citrus fruits, grapefruit contains substances that disable certain ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 15 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center