Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Chest pain after mild exertion
petesvm posted:
I had 6 bypasses in 2001. I had a stent inserted in April 2009. I was told I had 20% heart muscle damage. Now when I walk at a fast pace for about 50-100yds I get a burning sensation in my chest and pain down my right arm. I am on beta blaocker and emzyme medication, plavix and lipitor. Will my pain upon get better or not, resting makes the pain go away...

CardiostarUSA1 responded:
Hi: b "I get a burning sensation in my chest and....../Will my pain.....?" Please consult with your cardiologist promptly. Coronary stents (drug-eluting or bare-metal) are just a Band-aid or spot treatment, and coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgery is just a clever way of temporarily circumventing the problem (atherosclerosis), as these treatments do not address the underlying disease processes and what drives the progression. Most important, coronary artery disease (CAD) is a lifelong unpredictable (can exhibit periods of stabilization, acceleration, and even some regression) condition, requiring a continuum of top notch care, and good doctor-patient/patient-doctor communication and understanding at ALL times. Best of luck down the road of life. Take care, CardioStar☆ Advocate for ♥-Health - - b ☑Be well-informed WebMD Living with Heart Disease b Coronary Artery Disease (CAD) CAD is a chronic disease with no cure. When you have coronary artery disease, it is important to take.... This is especially true if you have had an interventional procedure or surgery to improve blood flow to the heart....../It is up to you to take steps...... b Recognize the symptoms...... b Reduce your risk factors...... b Take your medications...... b See your doctor for regular check-ups...... www.webmd.com/content/pages/9/1675_57792.htm b Coronary artery anatomy Starting with the left anterior descending coronary artery, the most critical coronary artery, next to the ultra-critical left main coronary artery. www.heartsite.com/html/lad.html - b Good to Know, for the primary and secondary prevention of heart attack and brain attack/stroke Epidemiologic studies (EDS) have revealed risk factors for atherosclerosis (typically affecting the coronary, carotid, and peripheral arteries), which includes age, gender, genetics (gene deletion, malfunction, or mutation), diabetes (considered as being the highest risk factor), smoking (includes secondhand), inactivity, obesity (a global epidemic, "globesity"), high blood pressure (hypertension), diet high in fat, saturated fat and cholesterol, high LDL, high Lp(a), high ApoB, high Lp-PLA2, high triglycerides, LOW HDL (less than 40 mg/dL, an HDL level of 60/65 mg/dL or more is considered protective against coronary artery disease), high homocysteine, and high C-reactive protein (CRP/hs-CRP). - - OptumHealth b Making the Most of Your Doctor Visits Ten tips for making your visit to the doctor more effective. www.myoptumhealth.com/portal/Health+Hubs/item/Making+the+Most+of+Your+Doctor+Visits HealingWell b You and Your Doctor: It Takes Two to Tango Your medical care is a TWO WAY street...... www.healingwell.com/library/health/article.asp?author=salvucci&id=5 i Quote "Be a questioning patient. Talk to your doctor and ask questions. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!" - Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society . It's your future......be there. :-) . . b ☛WebMD/WebMD message boards does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. b ☛Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on WebMD. b ☛If you have a medical emergency call 911.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Mediterranean DietGuest Expert
The Mediterranean diet has long been recognized as a booster of heart health. It is linked to lower risks of heart disease, stroke, ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 12 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center