Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
triple bypass and lupus
lupheartpres posted:
I have lupus and had a triple bypass in 06. I have been having tightness,and soreness in chest. Had test says it is not the heart. My rhema dr. gave me a shot in the chest which help me so much. I think it is inflammation and maybe pericarditis, my heart doctor seems to think not. What is it? :confused: :confused:

CardiostarUSA1 responded:
Hi: b "What is it?" Realistically, this can not be determined via the Internet. b "Had test, says it is not the heart" What type of test? b "I think it is inflammation and maybe pericarditis" Very noteworthy, lupus can affect the heart/cardiovascular system in a variety of ways, ranging from infection to inflammation, often producing numerous signs and symptoms (though sometimes silent), which can lead to adverse events. Additionally, bypass surgery is just a clever way of temporarily circumventing the problem (atherosclerosis), as it doesn't address the underlying disease process and what drives the progression. Coronary artery disease (CAD) is a lifelong unpredictable (can exhibit periods of stabilization, acceleration, and even some regression) condition, requiring a continuum of top notch care, as well as good doctor-patient/patient-doctor communication and understanding at ALL times. Best of luck down the road of life. Take care, CardioStar☆ Advocate for ♥-Health - - b ☑Be well-informed WebMD Living with Heart Disease b Coronary Artery Disease CAD is a chronic disease with no cure. When you have coronary artery disease, it is important to take good care of your heart for the rest of your life... This is especially true if you have had an interventional procedure or surgery to improve blood flow to the heart.../It is up to you to take steps to stop the disease from... b Recognize the symptoms. Reduce your risk factors. Take your medications. See your doctor for regular check-ups... www.webmd.com/heart-disease/guide/living-with-heart-disease b Coronary artery anatomy ☞Starting with the left anterior descending (LAD), the most critical, next to the ultra-critical left main (LM). www.heartsite.com/html/lad.html - WebMD Health News - archives b Lupus Patients Risk Early Heart Disease Heart Disease, Stroke Risk Likely Related to Inflammation From Lupus December 17, 2003 People with lupus are more likely to have clogged arteries that can lead to heart attack and stroke at a younger age, likely due to the inflammation from lupus. Two new studies point to the need for doctors treating lupus patients to give more time and attention, and treatment, to high blood pressure and other related problems, researchers say. In fact, this tendency for early heart attacks and strokes has been known for decades, yet researchers haven't understood why it happens, writes lead researcher Mary J. Roman, MD, a cardiologist with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University in New York. Roman has conducted two studies of this pattern; her third and most recent study appears in this week's New England Journal of Medicine. lupus.webmd.com/news/20031217/lupus-patients-risk-early-heart-disease WTNH b Lupus and heart disease rise There is new evidence of a growing problem of serious heart disease among young women with lupus. Why is this affecting this group so significantly, and what should they do to protect themselves? - 10/24/05 Nine out of ten people with lupus are women. And it's these young women who are surprisingly having a high rate of heart disease, prompting medical experts to think more on how to prevent it and to look for it.... URL to this original article is no longer available - Lupus Foundation of America b Cardiopulmonary Disease www.lupus.org/webmodules/webarticlesnet/templates/new_aboutaffects.aspx?articleid=291 uote "Be a questioning patient. Talk to your doctor and ask questions. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!" - Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society . It's your future......be there. :-) . . b ☛WebMD/WebMD message boards does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.

DeadManWalking56 responded:
Are you able to walk for exercise, even slowly, or do other exercise activities ? I know lupus is supposed to be very painful, but even light exercise boosts circulation, begins to strengthen the heart, and can ease inflammation. I have extensive blockages unaffected by my '06 3x bypass. I unfortunately backed off my exercise program for a few months this summer, and now I get some tightness during part of my exercise warm-ups, that did not happen before. I then back off a little for a few minutes, then up my heart rate 5-10 beats again, and then the tightness is gone and I can continue. I've forgotten to try some nitro spray before exercise. My doctor suggested it 2 years ago, but I rarely have used it. This would seem to be a good time for that. Do you have a nitro spray to use with this tightness, or for angina ? DMW

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Nix Grapefruit & Statin DrugsExpert
Grapefruit & statin drugs can be a bad combination. Unlike other citrus fruits, grapefruit contains substances that disable certain ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 15 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center