Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
all numbers good, but 30% blockage
nwschlei posted:
The only negative I have is that I am overweight, but still I experienced chest pain and after a heart cath a 30% blockage was found. Female, 50s, strong family history, but I was still surprised given health BP, good cholesterol, all of that! Unsure how/why to eat heart healthy, as my numbers indicate I'm already in a good range. Was put on statin and bp meds. Anyone else experience this? I'd expect problems if I had high cholesterol or high BP. This was a bit of a surprise....

CardiostarUSA1 responded:
Hi: b "Experienced chest pain and after a heart cath a 30% blockage was found." Chest pain has various causes (cardiac and non-cardiac), and worth mentioning, as applicable, there is a specific condition known as coronary artery spasm (CAS), a transient constriction or total closure of a coronary artery, that causes what is referred to as Prinzmetal's or variant angina. CAS typically, though not 100% always, causes chest pain at rest, and may/can occur at the site (or right near it) of a mild blockage, or where there is no visual (as imaged by invasive X-ray angiography, angiogram, heart catheterization) blockage at all. Lose weight sensibly, and keep ALL other known modifiable risk factors for cardiovascular disease (which actually begins very early in life, even as early as in the pre-teen/teenage years) closely in-check. ALWAYS be proactive in your health care and treatment. Most important, communicate/interact well with your doctors. Best of luck down the road of life. Take care, CardioStar☆ Advocate for ♥-Health - - ☑Be well-informed WebMD Living with Heart Disease b Coronary Artery Disease (CAD) CAD is a chronic disease with no cure.... www.webmd.com/heart-disease/guide/living-with-heart-disease b Coronary artery anatomy ☞Starting with the left anterior descending (LAD), the most critical, next to the ultra-critical left main (LM). www.heartsite.com/html/lad.html - b Good to know, for the primary and secondary prevention of heart attack and brain attack/stroke Epidemiologic studies (EDS) have revealed risk factors for atherosclerosis (typically affecting the coronary, carotid, and peripheral arteries), which includes age, gender, genetics (gene deletion, malfunction, or mutation), diabetes (considered as being the highest risk factor), smoking (includes secondhand), inactivity, obesity (a global epidemic, "globesity"), high blood pressure (hypertension), diet high in fat, saturated fat and cholesterol, high LDL, high Lp(a), high ApoB, high Lp-PLA2, high triglycerides, LOW HDL (less than 40 mg/dL, an HDL level of 60/65 mg/dL or more is considered protective against coronary artery disease), high homocysteine, and high C-reactive protein (CRP/hs-CRP). b _ . _ b ♥-Healthy Foods i It's never too late Avoid foods high in saturated fat and cholesterol. Choose skim or low-fat milk, low-fat yogurt and reduced-fat cheeses. Eat more fish and poultry. Limit servings to five to seven ounces a day. Trim visible fat. Limit egg yolks. Substitute two egg whites for one whole egg or use an egg-substitute. Eat more fruits and vegetables, whole grains, breads and cereals. Use less salt and fat. Season with herbs and spices rather than with sauces, gravies and butter. b _ . _ WebMD b Choosing a Weight-Loss Program www.webmd.com/diet/guide/choosing-weight-loss-program b The Diet Channel www.thedietchannel.com - - OptumHealth b Making the Most of Your Doctor Visits 14 Tips to Make Your Doctor Visits a Success www.myoptumhealth.com/portal/Health+Hubs/item/Making+the+Most+of+Your+Doctor+Visits HealingWell b You and Your Doctor: It Takes Two to Tango Your medical care is a TWO WAY street...... www.healingwell.com/library/health/article.asp?author=salvucci&id=5 i Quote "Be a questioning patient. Talk to your doctor and ask questions. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!" - Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society . It's your future......be there. :-) . . b ☛WebMD/WebMD message boards does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.

DeadManWalking56 responded:
nw: If you had a heart cath and all that was found was a single 30% blockage, you are very fortunate. At age 50, that is very, very minor. For a good perspective on a severe case, in my first cath that led to emergency bypass surgery the following morning, my 3 mains were 99%, 99% and 80% blocked, with severe ectasia, or wide stretched out sections, numerous small scattered aneurysms, and another dozen 80% blockages, that were too close or too small to operate on. My cholesterol was in the normal range, I was slim and exercised regularly. I ate healthy compared to many, but not ideal for a heart patient, which I do now. Why to eat heart healthy ? 1) It well help you lose weight from less calories and less fat in your diet, so there is less work load on your heart. That will improve your quality of life everyday. 2) The reduced amount of fat in your diet will cut down the LDL and the exposure of your LDL to oxidation. Oxidized LDL is necessary for enlargement of blockages. 3) In eating more anti-oxidant rich foods, primarily dark fruits and spices, you will be further reducing the possible exposure of LDL cholesterol to oxidation and growth of blockages. 3) The elimination of any processed foods will remove a major irritant to artery walls, trans fats, which reduces your good cholesterol, HDL, raises your LDL cholesterol, and can create damage in your artery walls that become the growth site of blockages. You have the classic problem for women: which is chest pain without other major sypmtoms. So change diet and lifestyle or not ? Its a gamble. Women have nearly as many heart attacks as men once they hit 50, and for both, about half of those first heart attacks are fatal. Chest pain is a warning sign that is a real blessing. You likely have between 1 and 20 years left. Those people who have the initial heart attack that kills them usually have no warning there is a problem. Once warning signs begin, they don't go away if you don't change your ways. If you want to ignore the signs, write your family and friends a long letter why, save up for your funeral, and write your will or living trust. If you do change, you likely have 15-40 more years left, and you'll enjoy it more, unless you are a food junkie. Your doctor can spell all this out for you, but because it is widely available, he figured if you don't know yet, you may not care, and he'll just try to help you fix it. When a mechanic works on your car or a contractor on your house, you don't worry about small details. you just get it fixed. You could have lost weight a long time ago. You could be eating better a long time ago. The fact you did not do it before shows a lack of sincere interest on your part, up until now anyway. Most people don't change their ways, but a majority do take their medications. He saved you both some time, on a good gamble you were not interested. But you asked. Now to learn more your should read up on heart disease.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Nix Grapefruit & Statin DrugsExpert
Grapefruit & statin drugs can be a bad combination. Unlike other citrus fruits, grapefruit contains substances that disable certain ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 15 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center