Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Atrial Fibrillation and me
aetishler posted:
Greetings everyone,

I'm a 22, male and have recently been diagnosed with the for mentioned Atrial Fibrillation. It has pretty much freaked me out really bad. I get paranoid easily and have been thinking about how fragile my life is the past couple months. The 'flutters' freak me out and make me squirm. I'm still not that sure as to what is going on or what i am supposed to be doing to cure myself (other than life changes and diet changes). The reason for the post is more for me to vent and reach out to see if anyone else has had a similar experience and how they dealt with it.

Thanks, Andrew

CardiostarUSA1 responded:
Hi Andrew:

"Has pretty much freaked me out really bad. I get paranoid easily......"

This is certainly understandable.

"Still not that sure as to what is going on or what I am supposed to be doing to cure myself (other than life changes and diet changes)."

Check out condition-specific forums (registration/signup required) such as this one over at Yahoo Health -

Atrial Fibrillation Support Groups

health.groups.yahoo.com/group/AFIBsupport

Priority-selected info is provided below.

Most important, communicate/interact well with your doctors. Best of luck down the road of life. Live long and prosper.

Take care

CardioStar*

Advocate for Heart Health

-

-

Be well-informed

Cleveland Clinic

Atrial Fibrillation

www.clevelandclinic.org/heartcenter/pub/atrial_fibrillation/afib.htm

CNN/Health Libraty - Mayo Clinic

Atrial Fibrillation

www.cnn.com/HEALTH/library/DS/00291.html

A-Fib 101

members.aol.com/mazern/afib101.htm

Atrial fibrillation - Resources

FAQs

www.a-fib.com/FAQs.htm

_ . _

A-Fib

There are a small % of those for whom a reversible cause for AF can be readily identified, e.g., hyperthyroidism, alcoholism or diabetes, and in whom AF does not recur once the cause has been alleviated.

Goals for managing patients with AF are to restore and maintain the normal atrial rhythm and pumping function, control the ventricular rate and prevent brain attack.

AF Management

Correct any electrolyte imbalance/defficiency, in particular, potassium and magnesium. Consider cardioversion (externally shocking the heart back into normal sinus rhythm. Control the ventricular response. Anticoagulation therapy.

_ . _

LEARN ABOUT the heart's delicate and precise electrical conduction system

HeartSite

Heart Electrical Activity

www.heartsite.com/html/electrical_activity.html

Your-doctor

Animated Tutorial

your-doctor.com/healthinfocenter/medical-conditions/cardiovascular/conductiontutorial.html

Heart Rhythm Society

Patients and Public Information Center

www.hrspatients.org

- -

Health A to Z

Making the Most of Your Doctor Visits

www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz/Atoz/common/standard/transform.jsp?requestURI=/healthatoz/Atoz/hc/men/life/alert05132004.jsp

HealingWell

You and Your Doctor: It Takes Two to Tango

Your medical care is a TWO WAY street...

www.healingwell.com/library/health/article.asp?author=salvucci&id=5

"Be a questioning patient. Talk to your doctor and ask questions. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!"

- Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society

It's your future......be there.

bumpsiegirl18 responded:
Hi Andrew I to have AFib since 1997 I am taking a pill to slow my heart rate down plus a blood thinner I don't like taking meds but I am left with no choice. At first I went with four year after the first time of going into Afib but you are right it is scary I went to my local hospital and was admitted to ICU where they kept me on meds to slow and try to get me into normal sinus i converted on my own.then i went two years without it going into Afib again then in 2008 April i lost my sister due to colon cancer and i was so upset i started having Afib alot more which i think was from stress related issues. I found a doctor from the Cleveland clinic that does a procdure called Ablation that corrects Afib so i am looking to having it done in a couple of weeks.I stressed myself and felt like my life was on hold felt like i could not do anything because i was afraid of going into Afib i am a very active person seven days a week was always on the go but gave up alot of things to try and stay out of Afib but decided that if i let this control me i was giving in to it and not living at all and i decided that i was not going to give in to it.....please don't altar your life because of this you can have a normal life without fear you just have to except that you are not going to let it control your life, my daughter is a nurse and where she works she sees at least four people a day that comes into the office that stays into Afib 24/7 they take meds for it and move on. but try to read up on Ablation my email is Bumpsiegirl18@aol.com if i can help you in any way thanks Janet

burnsr responded:
Andrew, I just gound out last week thatI have it as well. I have it off and on for years, but no one said it was this. Anyway, fast forward...I am 51 and my Cardiologist has me on antenolol and asprin aday. I'm ticked off, but more than that I am determined to find an underlying cause, possibly past thyroid issues.. Acceptance for me is the key here... Rose

_Tabbitha_ responded:
Andrew, my name is Tabbitha and I am 21 year old female. I was diagnosed with Tachycardia about 5 years ago, and am again experiencing "flare ups". The best thing you can do is relax, especially when it happens. If you don't it might make it worse (basically a panic/anxiety attack). It's hard to relax when your heart races, but it does help you feel better, if not physically, it does mentally. Other than that it sounds like you know what your suppose to do. Good luck.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Nix Grapefruit & Statin DrugsExpert
Grapefruit & statin drugs can be a bad combination. Unlike other citrus fruits, grapefruit contains substances that disable certain ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 15 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center