Skip to content
Spasm or Pain around heart area
ag0905 posted:
I don't exactly know how to describe this feeling, but periodicaly, I get something like a lil pain in my heart area. It'll go away and when I am lying down, it comes and goes but then it stops. Sometimes during the day when I am out and about, I can feel this. Could it be related to gas? Or maybe heartburn? I recently had a complete heart checkup and everything was fine. I had a cardiolite stress test, and echo and a carodite doppler and all was ok. The cardiologist put me on lopressor because I am naturally hyper and when I get excited my heart beats extremely fast. I take 50mg in the am and 50 in the pm. Could it be the medication? I just feel all stressed out in my chest area. I could be standing up and all of a sudden my rib cage starts to feel stressed out. Any clue as to what might be happening or is it depression?

CardiostarUSA1 responded:
Hi: b "Could it be related to gas? Or maybe heartburn? Could it be the medication? Or is it depression?" This can not be truly determined via the Internet. You did mention previously here that your mitral valve is leaking (regurgitation), and though you said it's only leaking a little, it still may/could cause various symptoms, or no symptoms at all. Even mitral valve prolapse (MVP, the most common heart valve abnormality), without any regurgitation, may/can cause symptoms such as chest pain. Chest/heart area symptoms (which includes discomfort, pain, pressure, tightness), stationary, or radiating elsewhere, without accompanying symptoms, has various causes, cardiac (includes coronary artery spasm which typically occurs at rest, and Cardiac Syndrome X) and non-cardiac, which includes, pulmonary, gastrointestinal (includes GERD/heartburn/acid reflux, and esophageal spasm, which can mimic angina-like chest pain), musculoskeletal, and psychological/psychogenic. Of the different kinds of heart conditions, some which can occur at any age, symptoms can be acute (occurring suddenly), be chronic (occurring over a long period of time), come and go (be transient, fleeting or episodic), or even be silent. Sometimes, a condition can be overlooked, completely missed, or misinterpreted with this or type of diagnostic test. Most important, communicate/interact well with your doctors. Take extra-good care C* - - b Be well-informed MedlinePlus - Trusted Health Information for You b Chest pain www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003079.htm b CNN/Health Library - Mayo Clinic b Chest pain www.cnn.com/HEALTH/library/DS/00016.html eMedicine Health b Chest pain www.emedicinehealth.com/chest_pain/article_em.htm - - WebMD b Heart Disease TYPES i Acquired or in life congenital (born with it) Cardiovascular disease includes a number of conditions affecting the structures or function of the heart. They can include:..... my.webmd.com/content/pages/9/1675_57860.htm b Heart Disease SYMPTOMS Learn to recognize your...... my.webmd.com/content/pages/9/1675_57855.htm Mayo Clinic b Cardiovascular disease 101: Understanding heart and blood vessel conditions Understanding all the different types of cardiovascular disease can be confusing. Get a basic overview of cardiovascular disease and the conditions that can affect your heart and blood..... www.mayoclinic.com/health/cardiovascular-disease/HB00032 - b HeartSite Heart info, Cardiac tests (commonly performed, mainstream types, does not include 64-slice Cardiac CT, Cardiac PET, and Cardiac MR/MRI) info, Actual diagnostic images. www.heartsite.com - - Health A-Z b Making the Most of Your Doctor Visits www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz/Atoz/common/standard/transform.jsp?requestURI=/healthatoz/Atoz/hc/men/life/alert05132004.jsp HealingWell b You and Your Doctor: It Takes Two to Tango Your medical care is a TWO WAY street..... www.healingwell.com/library/health/article.asp?author=salvucci&id=5 i Quote "Be a questioning patient. Talk to your doctor and ask questions. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!" - Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society . It's your future......be there. :-) . . b WebMD/WebMD message boards does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.

kidwelly responded:
I have a spasm pain in my chest around left side of my chest, i have done all the tests,and nothing showing up only leeking heart valve, i was diagnosed with this leek 6years ago, but now i have these spasm pains they can be unbearable i need to take nitromin spray to relieve this pain, Do you thing this is because of the leeking valve,and would it show up on a E,C,G test, I need some answers,because i have lost my job through this condition, i would be grateful with any replys. :smile:

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Omega 3 (Harp Seal Oil): One of the Best Supplement for Heart Diseases
Omega 3 is a must for Heart Disease, especially Harp Seal Oil Omega3. More Info(Harp Seal Oil vs. Fish Oil) I prefer canadian products ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center