Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Enzymes released indicating Heart Attack
YoungatHeart47 posted:
Are enzymes always released when a person has a heart attack?
Is there a difference between what happens to males and females?

I went to the hospital with chest pains and other symptoms and after all the tests, they couldn't find anything - and two minutes later I was having a heart attack (the cardiologists words) and was rushed to the cath lab for an emergency angioplasty where they found 95% blockage. I was told later that it wasn't a real heart attack because I didn't have any damage to my heart and there were no enzymes in my blood work. Is this possible?
I am a female, and 45 years old at the time - I still have problems convincing my doctors that the pains I get are heart related. I believe I just had another heart attack three weeks ago - no chest pains, but severe pain down both arms that woke me up at 3 am - with nausea and dizziness. I took an aspirin (didn't help) took a nitro (pain went away) but the nausea and dizziness persisted. I went to the doctors and sent to the hospital - again no enzymes. Could it just be me and my body?

cardiostarusa1 responded:
Hi:

A heart attack (myocardial infarction, MI, actual death or necrosis of heart cells/tissue) occurs when a coronary artery is totally (100%) blocked off.

Cell/tissue death does not occur immediately (once the artery is 100% blocked, with no, or insufficient coronary artery collateral circulation). It takes several minutes to start the injury process, which then continues on (evolves, in phases) for several hours, unless the artery is opened up, restoring blood flow.

About enzymes

WebMD

Cardiac Enzyme Studies

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/Cardiac-Enzyme-Studies

WebMD

Heart Disease: Heart Attacks

More than 1 million Americans have heart attacks each year.

What Happens During a Heart Attack?

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/heart-disease-heart-attacks

American Heart Association - Learn and Live

Heart Attack Warning Signs

Some heart attacks are sudden and intense, the "movie heart attack," where no one doubts what's happening. But most heart attacks start slowly, with mild pain or discomfort. Often people affected aren't sure what's wrong and wait too long before getting help.

National Heart, Lung, & Blood Institute (NHLBI)

Signs and symptoms vary from person to person. In fact, if you have a second heart attack your symptoms may not be the same as the first heart attack.

eHealthMD

Heart Attack

What Is A Heart Attack? Types Of Heart Attack. Symptoms Of A Heart Attack. Is It A Heart Attack?.....

http://www.ehealthmd.com/library/heartattack/HA_whatis.html

Most important, coronary artery disease (CAD) is a lifelong unpredictable (can exhibit periods of stabilization, acceleration, and even some regression) condition, requiring a continuum of top notch care, as well as good doctor-patient/patient-doctor communication and understanding at ALL times.

Best of luck down the road of life.

Take care,

CardioStar*

WebMD community member (since 8/99)

-

-

Be well-informed

WebMD

Living with Coronary Artery Disease (CAD)

CAD is a chronic disease with no cure. When you have coronary artery disease, it is important to take good care of your heart......

This is especially true if you have had an interventional procedure or surgery to improve blood flow to the heart...////It is up to you to......

Recognize the symptoms. Reduce your risk factors. Take your medications. See your doctor for regular check-ups......

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/guide/living-with-heart-disease

Coronary artery anatomy

Starting with the left anterior descending (LAD), the most critical, next to the ultra-critical left main (LM).

http://www.heartsite.com/html/lad.html

-

Good to know, for the primary and secondary prevention of heart attack and brain attack/stroke

Epidemiologic studies (EDS) have revealed risk factors for atherosclerosis (typically affecting the coronary, carotid, and peripheral arteries), which includes age, gender, genetics (gene deletion, malfunction, or mutation), diabetes (considered as being the highest risk factor), smoking (includes secondhand), inactivity, obesity (a global epidemic "globesity"), high blood pressure (hypertension), diet high in fat, saturated fat and cholesterol, high LDL, high Lp(a), high ApoB, high Lp-PLA2, high triglycerides, LOW HDL (less than 40 mg/dL, an HDL level of 60/65 mg/dL or more is considered protective against coronary artery disease), high homocysteine, and high C-reactive protein (CRP/hs-CRP).

-

"Be a questioning patient. Talk to your doctor and ask questions. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!"

- Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society

It's your future......be there.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Nix Grapefruit & Statin DrugsExpert
Grapefruit & statin drugs can be a bad combination. Unlike other citrus fruits, grapefruit contains substances that disable certain ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 15 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center