Skip to content
Pulse pressure 60 and above most of the time! Problem?
An_192768 posted:
Never has a doctor addressed or even mentioned that the difference between my systolic and diastolic is of any concern by there being such a difference.
I brought it up once but a shrug of the shoulders met the question. It varies from 40 to 80 and rarely, like tonight, 100 points difference.
At 156/53 tonight--and feeling soooo lightheaded and mild headache and this happens 'alot' I can't help but wonder.

Earlier in the day it was high--150's over 103, then dropped to 150's over 93, and now this evening the lower number on the diastolic. Is this a concern in an older--70's person? My heart is ok, as I've recently been checked out by a cardiologist.

I quit a medicaion 2 nights ago--after taking it only 6 days, because it was causing me extreme dizzyness and I was just not feeling right. It's the weekend and I didn't want to bother the doctor for this.
I see a new doctor next week, so didn't call the doctor prescribing it to check but felt I couldn't take it any longer.
The medication is Nortryptlyine 25 mg. and only once capsule each evening. As I said, I only took it 6 nights, so didn't feel going off of it could cause a problem. Also, the head pressure and dizziness I have had prior to this because of an inner ear condition and the Neuro/ent thinks it could be Migraine related and not inner ear.
Today though the head pressure and feeling lightheaded has been worse than usual.

It was prescribed for the head pressure due to symptoms of Migraines==without the pain, that I've been having for some time now.

I see a Neurologist next week. Could going off the medication cause this and will it pass in a day or two?

Had I been on it 2 weeks or more I knew not to go off it or any meds suddenly. I just felt this low dose and I'd only taken it such a short time, it would be ok. I hope it's nothing to worry about, just wanted an opinion. thanks.

ps: it was in capsule form or I would have cut it in half and tapered off instead of discontinuing it suddenly.
Just need a comment please!

CardiostarUSA1 responded:
Hi:

"Is this a concern in an older, 70s person?"

Yes, of course.

"Could going off the medication cause this and will it......"

Can't determine for sure via the Internet (which has serious limitations/restrictions).

SEE: Causes/common causes of WIDE pulse pressure:

There are likely to be other possible causes, so ask your doctor about your symptoms....

http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/symptoms/wide_pulse_pressure/causes.htm

In general-only here, the complex human body is usually able to keep blood pressure (BP) within safe/acceptable limits, but sometimes changes in lifestyle, health, stressful situations, anxiety, side effects from prescription drugs, or changes in metabolism, make this difficult. This can cause the BP to become consistently higher or lower than normal, or spike up and then drop down.

Compensatory mechanisms that control BP involves changing the diameter of veins and small arteries (arterioles), the amount of blood pumped out from the heart per minute (cardiac output), and the volume of blood in the vessels.

Normal resting BP in adults is under 120/80 with 115/75 or 110/70 considered as being optimal/ideal. Prehypertension is defined as
systolic of 120-139 mmHg and diastolic of 80-89 mmHg. Stage 1 is systolic of 140 to 159 and diastolic of 90 to 99. Stage II is systolic of 160 to 179 and diastolic of 100 to 109. Stage III is systolic greater than 180 and diastolic greater than 110. Stage IV is systolic of 210 and greater, and diastolic of 120 and greater.

Noteworthy, temporary increases or high spikes in BP, which was at one time was thought as being relatively harmless, can in fact be deleterious (may/can even cause a hypertensive brain attack) in some individuals, especially in those who already have hypertension or weakened arteries in the brain.

Health dangers from BP vary among different age groups and depending on whether systolic, diastolic, or both, is elevated. Isolated diastolic hypertension, isolated systolic hypertension and diastolic/systolic hypertension, increases the risk of cardiovascular disease, cerebrovascular disease, renovascular disease.

High systolic BP appears as a significant indicator for heart complications, including death, in all ages, but especially in middle-aged and OLDER adults.

High diastolic BP is a strong predictor of heart attack and brain attack in young adults and in those of any age with essential hypertension, high BP from unknown causes, which occurs in the great majority of cases.

Pulse pressure is also important, which is the difference between systolic (heart's pumping phase) and diastolic (heart's resting phase). Usually, the resting (in sitting position) pulse pressure in healthy individuals is 40 mmHg, give or take a little. A consistantly narrow (say 20 or 25 mmHg or less) or wide (say 60 or 65 or more) pulse pressure is not good.

ALWAYS be proactive in your health care and treatment. Best of luck down the road of life.

Take care,

CardioStar*

WebMD community member (since 8/99)

-

-

Be well-informed

Epidemiologic studies have revealed risk factors for cardiovascular disease, which includes age, gender, genetics, diabetes, smoking (also secondhand), inactivity, obesity, hypertension, diet high in fat, saturated fat and cholesterol, high LDL, high Lp(a), high ApoB, high Lp-PLA2, high triglycerides, LOW HDL (less than 40 mg/dL, an HDL level of 60/65 mg/dL or more is considered protective against coronary artery disease), high homocysteine, and high C-reactive protein (CRP/hs-CRP).

-

"Be a questioning patient. Talk to your doctor and ask questions. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!"

- Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society

It's your future......be there. :-)

. .

WebMD/WebMD message boards does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.

EngineerGuy responded:
Hi Anon,

I wanted to ensure that you were familiar with your treatment options. Here is an exerpt from www.pritikin.org, complete with the medical journal reference:

Lower Blood Pressure To Normal, Medication-Free Levels
Nearly 60% of 1,117 hypertensives lowered blood pressure to normal levels and left Pritikin free of anti-hypertensive medications. Journal of Applied Physiology, 98: 3, 2005.

Among your treatment options, is a compete change in your diet, such as you can do at home, or at the Pritikin Longevity Center, mentioned above. This allows nearly all hypertensives to get off their medication entirely, perhaps right away, or in time.

This is genuine serious medicine. I have attended the Pritikin Center several times myself. It is a wonderful place. It is run by board certified physicians. If you can afford it, the Pritikin Center combines a wonderful vacation at a luxury spa, with diet and exercise and lectures and fascinating comaraderie. Of course, you can do it all at home yourself. It's hard at first, but what worthwhile effort isn't?

I spend most of my time on the Heart Health Fuhrman Ornish board.

Best regards, EngineerGuy

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Nix Grapefruit & Statin DrugsExpert
Grapefruit & statin drugs can be a bad combination. Unlike other citrus fruits, grapefruit contains substances that disable certain ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 15 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center