Skip to content
Wrinkle in Earlobe linked to Heart Attack Risk?
DWS49 posted:
Has anyone ever heard of having a wrinkle in the earlobe as a symptom that you have or will have heart issues/a heart attack? I am 60 and have some wrinkles, just about everywhere, but never thought it was an indication that I may suffer a heart attack one day. A younger man whose had 3 told me this. Although, he has diabetes and is overweight. I cannot find any info on this!

CardiostarUSA1 responded:
Hi:

About the wrinkle, actually creases -

UAB Medicine

Q & A archives

Heart disease risk (ear lobe creases)

Dear Doctor Column, October 2, 2003

Ear Lobe Creases Don't Mean You Have Heart Disease

http://www.health.uab.edu/17677

Additionally -

Ear lobe creases and the coronary artery disease (CAD) connection?

Since 1973, several studies have demonstrated a link between a specific form of ear lobe crease on both ears and an increased incidence of CAD.

It is thought that if an individual has diagonal creases on both ear lobes, there may be some benefit in undergoing screening to exclude the possibility of CAD.

Similar links with CAD have been found with other physical characteristics such as short rather than tall individuals or females with apple-shaped bodies.

It is important to remember, however, that not every individual with these characteristic ear lobe creases is likely to have CAD.

The ear lobe crease may suggest a genetic predisposition to have CAD. This can also be detected through a history of early CAD in the family.

While an inherited genetic predisposition to CAD can not be totally removed, it can be modified with a healthy lifestyle.

While this and other similar associations are interesting, they are not an important predictor of CAD as other controllable risk factors are.

ALWAYS be proactive in your health care and treatment. Most important, communicate/interact well with your doctors. Best of luck down the road of life.

Take care,

CardioStar*

WebMD community member (since 8/99)

-

-

Be well-informed

WebMD

Heart Disease TYPES

Men and Women

Acquired in life or congenital (born with it)

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/heart-disease-men

Heart Disease SYMPTOMS

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/guide/heart-disease-symptoms

Mayo Clinic

Heart Disease

Definition. Symptoms. Causes. Risk factors. Complications. Tests and diagnosis.....

Heart disease is a broad term used to describe a range of diseases that affect your heart, and in some cases, your blood vessels. The various diseases that fall under the umbrella of......

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/heart-disease/DS01120

-

HeartSite

Heart info, cardiac tests (common types) info, actual diagnostic images

http://www.heartsite.com

-

Good to know, for the primary and secondary prevention of heart attack and brain attack/stroke

Epidemiologic studies (EDS) have revealed risk factors for atherosclerosis (typically affecting the coronary, carotid and peripheral arteries), which includes age, gender, genetics (gene deletion, malfunction, or mutation), diabetes (considered as being the highest risk factor), smoking (includes secondhand) inactivity, obesity (a global epidemic, "globesity"), high blood pressure (hypertension), diet high in fat, saturated fat and cholesterol, high LDL, high Lp(a), high ApoB, high Lp-PLA2, high triglycerides, LOW HDL (less than 40 mg/dL, an HDL level of 60/65 mg/dL or more is considered protective against coronary artery disease), high homocysteine, and high C-reactive protein (CRP/hs-CRP).

-

Quote!

"Be a questioning patient. Talk to your doctor and ask questions. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!"

- Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society

It's your future......be there. :-)

. .

WebMD/WebMD message boards does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.

DWS49 replied to CardiostarUSA1's response:
Thanks so much. The information was quite helpful. Now I'm not as freaked out, but know what kind of testing I need to have performed on my next physical.

CardiostarUSA1 replied to DWS49's response:
You're welcome. :-)

Take good care,

C*

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Mediterranean DietGuest Expert
The Mediterranean diet has long been recognized as a booster of heart health. It is linked to lower risks of heart disease, stroke, ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 12 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center