Chest Pain from stress
An_192843 posted:
My doctor did a ekg did not find anything. I had this dull pain or ache in the middle of my chest on and off for a while. It is worse when I am stressing. It does not feel like heartburn. I am under age 50 female. I had a lot of stress. No job, lost a relative to cancer and home living issues. I believe it is from stress. The stress has not let up in the past 3 yrs. I do speak to a therapist about the stress. Until the stress is gone I do not feel it will get better.
Suggestions?

CardiostarUSA1 responded:
Hi:

"My doctor did a ekg, did not find anything."

A routine resting electrocardiogram (EKG/ECG) is an "inexact science", offering limited heart-diagnostics and can yield erroneous or inconclusive results.

Chest area (right, left, upper, lower, center, side) pain, stationary or radiating elsewhere, with or without accompanying symptoms, has various causes, cardiac and non-cardiac, which includes, but is not limited to, pulmonary, gastrointestinal, musculoskeletal, and psychological/psychogenic (includes stress or anxiety).

The effects that stress exhibits on the human body are well-documented, and stress management can reduce the risk for various diseases, including heart-related problems.

Additionally, of the various types/kinds of heart conditions, symptoms may/can be acute (occurring suddenly), be chronic (occurring over a long period of time), come and go (be transient, fleeting or episodic) or even be silent.

ALWAYS be proactive in your health care and treatment. Most important, communicate/interact well with your doctor(s).

Best of luck down the road of life.

Take care,

CardioStar*

WebMD community member (since 8/99)

-

-

Be well-informed

American Heart Association - Learn and Live

Stress and Heart Disease

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4750

Help Guide

Understanding Stress: Signs, Symptoms, Causes, and Effects

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/stress_signs.htm

-

MedlinePlus - Trusted Health Information for You

Chest pain

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003079.htm

Mayo Clinic

Chest pain

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/chest-pain/DS00016

eMedicine Health

Chest pain

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/chest_pain/article_em.htm

-

Non-cardiac chest pain

Musculoskeletal-related

The chest contains many muscles, bones, tendons, and cartilage and strains or sprains to any of these may/can can cause chest pain. Chest pain associated with musculoskeletal injury is typically sharp and confined to a specific area of the chest.

The pain may/can be brought on by movement of the chest and/or arms into certain positions, and often is relieved by changing position.

The pain may/can be triggered off by pushing on part of the chest and often become worse when taking a deep breath. Though the pain typically last only seconds, it may/can also persist for days or longer.

If/when chest pain increases when you press your finger on the painful site, or if you can pinpoint the spot that hurts, it is most likely chest wall-related pain, which may/can be caused by strained muscles or ligaments or even by a fractured rib.

BCWP/TBCWP

Benign chest wall pain/Transitory benign chest wall pain

This pain may/can be brief or fleeting and often described as being sharp.

-

WebMD

Heart Disease TYPES

Men and Women

Acquired in life or congenital (born with it)

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/heart-disease-men

Heart Disease SYMPTOMS

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/guide/heart-disease-symptoms

Mayo Clinic

Heart Disease

Definition. Symptoms. Causes. Risk factors. Complications. Tests and diagnosis. Treatments and drugs. Prevention....

Heart disease is a broad term used to describe a range of diseases that affect your heart, and in some cases, your blood vessels. The various diseases that fall under the umbrella of......

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/heart-disease/DS01120

-

HeartSite

Heart info, cardiac tests (commonly performed, mainstream types) info, actual diagnostic images

http://www.heartsite.com

-

Quote!

"Be a questioning patient. Talk to your doctor and ask questions. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!"

- Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society

It's your future......be there. :-)

. .

WebMD/WebMD message boards does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.

britz1 responded:
Anon_31384, iam having the same problem i have a 2 test done treadmill, nothing they could see also the treadmill where they put die in your Heart but they said i was okay, but i want to another test this week Cardiac Cath and once if that comes out normal i will feel better. i have been going through this for 7 months with the little nagging pain. and iam a very stressful person. so i know what you are going through

martinana0506 responded:
I had this happen for over 8 mos...stress tests, etc..even had an ekg at the doctors office with a clear bill of health 2 hours before I laid on the couch eating tums knowing it was not my heart, and had a heart attack...I did not know until the next morning and it snowballed from there....esp with stress. I urge to listen to your gut feelings and push those medical professionals...take care and "breathe"...

Cactibabe1 responded:
You must be related to me.... Lost my Mom to cancer 07 forced to move no job either. Lived in scary apts until recently. Since I moved my pain is gone. Now I just deal with having MS and its changes. I have a grief therapist comes to see me each week since my Mothers death we talk about everything it helps. Thank you for the comment. Have a good week. :-)

cbrucejohnson responded:
ekg is only the beginning, get a second opinion, testing, from a cardiologist

DeadManWalking57 responded:
Best thing, adopt a completely heart friendly diet and lifestyle. Then you minimize bad things happening, and improve the body's beneficial responses.

You must learn to be non-reactive to stress, or remove yourself from situations.

Cactibabe1 responded:
I also posted same reaction last year. It was found to be too much stress in my life. Health, home and other issues we keep inside and it does catch up. I was able to relieve some of the issues but others are on going. Friends, finding things to make you laugh and find humor in things. It the only way at times. I am hiving from a bad med. I ask my friends do they know any busy bees that need hive help. Twisted humor. :-) Stay well, laugh and let those who love you try and help if they can. :-) We are here for you this is our online friends and family. :-)

DeadManWalking57 replied to Cactibabe1's response:
Cactibabe1 and An:

Purple, red, and blue fruits, especially berries and pomegranates, plus pistachios and green tea need to be in your diet. Herbs and spices are especially rich in ant-oxidants

Eliminate all dairy products and beef, visible fat and skin from poultry.

If you are getting regular chest pain, its called angina, and your doctor should prescribe a nitro spray product for you.

With my severely limited cardiac circulation, I use my treadmill or get other exercise at least 4 times a week. If I get any discomfort, I don't stop, I use the nitro spray and keep going. By exercising I help pump more oxygen to my heart. I'm on blood pressure meds to keep my BP and heart rate down, but that weakens my heart, so I MUST counteract it with exercise.

Based on normal patient behavior, my cardiologist really did not think I would make it 5 years after bypass surgery.

Your heart is a critical organ, and you alredy have signs of problems, so best to eliminate as many possible negative factors, and take advantage of foods critial to heart health.

I have not just "made it" 5 years. I'm doign very well, and handling stress without pain, something I did not expect.

Please take good care of yourselves.

mrssmithgill responded:
Pursue this with your doctor. Just because an EKG does not show anything does not mean nothing is wrong. I'm going to be 49 in two weeks. I was getting chest aches (still do), had a R-Test (I live in the UK, they may be stress tests in the US), and an echocardiogram. The echocardiogram found 3 regurgitating heart valves. It's mild now, but at least I know what it is and that helps. There's nothing they can do, how do you fix heart valves? I don't want anyone opening me up for major surgery and playing with my heart anyway. I am content now that I know. When you find out what exactly is causing this dull ache, it will ease your mind. Best of luck, hope your heat valves are working perfectly.

Cactibabe1 replied to DeadManWalking57's response:
Thanks for the tip and you are so right. I have food allergies which became worse when I got MS in 98 recently had a hiving attack to a MS med all allergies are worse. Avoiding the items you mentioned make a big difference now. It not fun having food allergies but it does force me to eat better and pay attention to what foods I am in contact with such as food dyes, additives and red meat. My stress was mostly from my MS, Mom passing away and coping with everything. Keeping it inside can cause your heart to go off track. I tend to dwell too much on things I can not change instead of dealing with what I can. When I do that it much better. Thank you for email.

Cactibabe1 replied to mrssmithgill's response:
I have a great doctor that my Neuro chose for me back in 2000. My issue is too much stress with trying to manage MS and life stresses. I changed my diet, cut out all the foods I should not have for allergy sake and read labels on many. I shop in the Natural Food section and Gluten area. Many of the super markets are setting up better options. I do keep my stress in at times. Need to work on that.When I get upset my heart pounds and breath gets short. I have to learn calming techniques. Refocus my thoughts. Tai Chi, Yoga and Pialtes. This can be expensive when income is tight. Lot of local centers do offer some services for free. You stay well in the UK. :-)