Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Supra ventricular Tachycardia
TravS22 posted:
I have been diagnosed with STV. My heart rate will jump up to 212 beats a minute and up. I am currently taking atenelol 50mg to help slow my heart down. Is it normal for it to drop down to 43 beats a minute while i am resting ? I am spot to have a procedure down on my heart where they use radiation and stop my stv, but my doctor is trying me on this medicine first. Do you think the med's will work ?

darmica39 responded:
I am only 39 years old and I have been having alot of problems with my heart rate now. My heart has gone as high as 206, I would like to talk to you about it. What are your symptoms and I am very scared. My heart rates suddenly.. and I am walking and I feel weak on the right side of my body. Please I am so depressed and I am tired of crying about. I have an appointment with an Electrophysiologist so I hope that can help me and fix my problem because I am just angry.

CardiostarUSA1 responded:
Hi TravS:

"Diagnosed with STV."

You mean SVT.

"Is it normal for it to drop down to 43 beats a minute while I am resting?"

How low ones' heart rate goes when resting is a variable when being on beta-blocker (lowers the heart rate and blood pressure by design) therapy.

Under 60 beats per minute (BPM) is bradycardia (slow heartbeat), which is ok, that is, unless it causes concerning symptoms such as lightheadedness or dizziness, weakness, confusion, or syncope (temporary loss of consciousness, includes fainting and passing out).

"Do you think the meds will work?"

Hopefully yes. Though unfortunately, there is no iron-clad guarantee on that. There is always the possibilty of drug-resistance developing or "breakthrough" arrhythmia.

"I am spot to have a procedure down on my heart where they use radiation and stop my svt"

Especially with improvements made in older standard radiofrequency energy (heat-based) technology, as well as newer technology cryoenergy/freezing, and high-intensity focused ultrasound, if/when performed by a highly-skilled doctor (IC/EP), via standard endocardial or transthoracic (through-the-chest) epidcardial, and done correctly (no culprit areas, pathways are missed, no normal areas are damaged or disrupted, the culprit tissue is ablated deep enough), a catheter ablation procedure should completely (100%) eliminate one's particular arrhythmia for good.

Noteworthy though, as indicated in medical literature, approximately under 10% of the time, an arrhythmia may recur (at any time) even after what was thought as being an initially successful (single site or multiple sites mapped and treated accordingly) catheter ablation.

This occurs because the abnormal heart cells or electrical pathway responsible for the arrhythmia was damaged, but not 100% therapeutically destroyed by the procedure. As this area heals, the original arrhythmia may reccur. Also, an ablation procedure may/can lead to the occurrence of a totally different type of arrhythmia, sometimes even making pacemaker implantation necessary.

ALWAYS be proactive in your health care and treatment. Most important, communicate/interact well with your doctors.

Best of luck down the road of life.

Take care,

Cardio

WebMD community member (since 8/99)

-

-

LEARN ABOUT the heart's delicate and precise electrical conduction system

http://www.heartsite.com/html/electrical_activity.html

Your-doctor

Animated Tutorial

http://www.your-doctor.com/healthinfocenter/medical-conditions/cardiovascular/conductiontutorial.html

Heart Rhythm Society

Patients & Public Information Center

http://www.hrspatients.org

Catheter Ablation General Info

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/heart/services/tests/procedures/ablation.aspx

It's your future......be there. :-)

. .

WebMD/WebMD message boards does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.

TravS22 replied to CardiostarUSA1's response:
Thank you Cardiostar USA. I really appreciate that much helpful information. I

TravS22 replied to darmica39's response:
Hay danica39. My heart has jumped up too 223 before while i was just laying in my bed. I hurried and got to the ER where they gave me a shot and i got diagnosed. Yea, it definatly scares me also when it jumps up that high. When mine jumps up, i get short of breath, weak, and wanna pass out. There are actually several things you can try to get it slowed down, my doctor told me about them. Put your face in ice cold water, Cough, Gag yourself. If that dosent work, go to the ER.

But believe me, i am with you on this, i am only 23 years old, in perfect shape, excercised everyday and eat right. It just makes you wonder, what stuff like this has to happen to people that are in perfect shape..

If you want to talk to me more about it, send me and email, and i will IM u soon. Here is my email

TravS22@live.com

CardiostarUSA1 replied to TravS22's response:
You're welcome. :-)

Take good care,

C -

darmica39 responded:
Hi TravS22
How have you been feeling lately? Well my heart rate went up to 206. I am now on a medication call Metropol 50mg to slow my heart rate down. I can tell you it makes me very sleepy and out of my mind if you know what I mean. How are you doing with this medication? Please contact me. I did see an Electrophysilogist and all he did for me was take my bloodpressure and nothing else. He did increase my Metropol to 75mg but it dropped my pressure to low, so I went back to 50. I recently found out that I have some abnormality with my Thyroid, another thing that I can't seem to cope with. Please let me know how all is doing with you,

TravS22 replied to darmica39's response:
Hey darmica39
I have been feelin pretty good lately, my pules keeps jumping up there but not as often and not as bad as it was. I am taking Atenelol 25mg twice a day. I went to see the my Electrophysilogist yesterday, took and ekg and told me everything looked good, like my heart rythm. He said as long as the meds are working then we dont have to go in and do anything, but if he gets worse they are going to do cardiac ablation, it were they go in through a artey and burn or freeze the spot in the heart that makes it jump up like that. My jumped up to 168 they other day but went done withn about 5 seconds. It still does it but not as often. But its crazy when it happens, i freak out and get anxiety real bad witch makes it worse. Im sorry to hear u have a Thyroid abnormality, hopefully they can get that fixed, well they have meds and stuff, i hope you do ok.

If your heart jumps up like that agin, hold your breath and push down, grunt, like your trying to use the bathroom, that usually works for me when it happens, my doctor taught me a couple. They are called Vagal Manevures, look them up.
Well i hope you are doing good and be sure to get back to me. Thank You

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

To keep a Healthy heart
Try concentrate on cholesterol free food ,reduce or totally avoid tobacco smoking and exercisefor about 30 minutes. More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center