Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Red Wine Helps the Heart
teka_shogun posted:
I just read the recent WebMD article on how red wine in moderate amounts can be really good for your heart and blood vessels, but I was wondering if any studies have looked at whether the quality of the wine makes a difference. Is cheap 5 dollar wine just as heart healthy as a fine wine, or does the aging process also boost the wine's healthy values as well as taste?

Here is the link to the article as well: http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/news/20100621/how-red-wine-helps-the-heart

Take the Poll

Do you drink red wine?
  • Yes
  • No
vote
View Poll Results

cardiostarusa1 responded:
Hi:

"Is cheap 5 dollar wine just as heart healthy as a fine wine, or does the aging process also boost......"

Good questions.

Here's more on the subject/topic -

Be well-informed

Yale-New Haven

A glass of red wine a day keeps the doctor away

Is red wine the fountain of youth or a potent poison? Is enjoying a glass of red wine with dinner each evening beneficial to your health?......

Scientists believe the antioxidants, called flavonoids, reduce the risk of coronary heart disease in three ways:.....

One study found that the antioxidant resveratrol, which is prevalent in the skin of red grapes, may inhibit tumor development in some cancers. Another study indicated that resveratrol aided in......

Which wines should you consume to reap the most benefits?

How much red wine should I drink?

A four-ounce glass of wine is equivalent to one serving. Men will benefit from consuming one to two servings per day. Women should consume only......

http://www.ynhh.org/online/nutrition/advisor/red_wine.html

American heart Asociation - Learn and Live

Alcohol, Wine and Cardiovascular disease

Consult your doctor on the benefits and risks of consuming alcohol in moderation. -

Are there cardiovascular risks associated with drinking alcohol?

AHA Recommendation

If you drink alcohol, do so in moderation. This means an average of......

What about red wine and heart disease?

Over the past several decades, many studies have been published in science journals about how drinking alcohol may be associated with reduced mortality due to heart disease in some populations. Some researchers have suggested that the benefit may be due to wine, especially red wine. Others are examining the potential......Some of these components may be found in other foods such as grapes or red grape juice......

Are there potential benefits of drinking wine or other
alcoholic beverages?

Alcohol or some substances such as resveratrol found in......

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4422

ScienceDaily

Drinking Wine Or Beer Has Same Result: Higher Blood Pressure - 4/20/05

Red wine appears to have a dual effect on blood vessels. The alcohol in it may raise blood pressure, but the polyphenolic compounds in red wine may have antioxidant effects and help relax blood vessels. There may be subtle differences between......

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/04/050419105236.htm

OSU Research

Red Wine Lovers, Take Heart: More Evidence Points To The Drink's Cardiac Heath Benefits

http://researchnews.osu.edu/archive/reswine.htm

Mayo Clinic

Red wine and resveratrol: Good for your heart?

Red wine and something in red wine called resveratrol might be heart healthy. Find out the facts, and hype, regarding red wine and its impact on your heart.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/red-wine/HB00089

BBC NEWS

Health archives

New white wine 'good for heart' - 12/12/02

The health benefits of red wine may now be found in a Chardonnay, according to researchers.

Red wine has long been thought to offer more protection against heart disease.

Now winemakers have developed a white wine which they say has the same benefits as red.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2565121.stm

Take care,

CardioStar*

WebMD member (since 8/99)

-

-

It's your future......be there.

. .

WebMD/WebMD Health Exchanges does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.

WebMD does not endorse any specific product, service, or treatment.

DUKE MEDICINE
Robert A Harrington, MD responded:
Great question and fantastic additional data provided by Cardiostar USA! As someone who loves and collects wine, I was particularly interested in this question and thought that I might chime in. First, how did people come to the notion that red wine might have some heart healthiness to it? There's an observation called "the French Paradox" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Paradox ) that emerged when scientists noted a relatively low incidence of coronary heart disease among the French, despite a high incidence of smoking and a diet heavy in fats (cheese, creams, etc). This notion gained widespread attention in the 1990s after it was covered in a story on 60 Minutes. It was spurred a great deal of scientific intrigue into whether or not a moderate amount of red wine consumption might balance some other dietary indiscretions.

Bottomline, we don't know the answer definitively. Most believe that a modest amount of daily alcohol has some health benefits. Some believe that this benefit is pronounced with red wine, due to some particular chemicals that are part of the grape skin. In fact, companies have been formed to explore whether some of these compounds might be extracted and developed as drugs to treat/prevent heart disease.

Now, back to your question. While drinking fine aged red wine is truly a delight, there's no evidence (yet) to suggest that this might be better for your health than more simple, less expensive wines. The key is moderation!

So, enjoy your glass after work or with dinner tonight and stay tuned for more evidence as the story evolves.

Cheers!

Bob H

teka_shogun replied to Robert A Harrington, MD's response:
Thank you both!

I thought of another question however.....could you get the positive affects from red grapes alone without the bad affects, even in very small, from the moderate amounts of alcohol? what about raisins too?

DeadManWalking56 responded:
teka:

My cardiologist said that if I don't drink, better to simply take resveratrol by capsule. For most drinkers, they need to reduce their drinking and switch to red wine to get some benefit.

Even better for the heart and blood vessels are: high anti-oxidant foods: herbs and spices, fruits, vegetables; pistachios to help the body's stem cells that maintain healthy arteries, and green tea; plus the usual lifestyle improvements, all of which improve the ability of the body to repair itself.

Without making ALL changes, and almost no one does, my doctor expected me to have heart failure set in soon after my emergency triple bypass. I have been able to implement close to everything, and take my meds on a daily basis. Thus far, 4 years and 6 months, no heart failure, and I'm doing fine. People at work note how I am an unfailing model of healthy consistency in the cafeteria.

The healthier you want to be, the more heart healthy lifestyle changes you need to make.

DMW

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Nix Grapefruit & Statin DrugsExpert
Grapefruit & statin drugs can be a bad combination. Unlike other citrus fruits, grapefruit contains substances that disable certain ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 15 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center