Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
after a triple bypass
An_192872 posted:
my dad, had a triple bypass 3 months ago, and now is short of breath all the time and blacking out. he has seen his cardiologist, after one of his blackouts caused him to hit a car head on.....and they let him drive home after his hospital stay....what do you reccomend

DUKE MEDICINE
Robert A Harrington, MD responded:
These are worrisome symptoms: shortness of breath and passing out. After a bypass operation, these symptoms could reflect some damage to the heart leading to heart failure symptoms (the shortness of breath), continued abnormal blood flow to critical areas of the heart (also the shortness of breath) and/or a heart rhythm problem that led to the syncope (passing out). These symptoms warrant a very careful evaluation by your dad's doctor and an explanation. This sounds like more than the "normal" healing process.

I suggest that you (or another family member) accompany your dad to his doctor's appointment and make sure that the doctor fully hears the story that you write about in your note. This really needs follow-up.

Best of luck

Bob H

11CUPS replied to Robert A Harrington, MD's response:
A had quadruple bypass surgery 4 years ago and 9 months after had very similar symptoms. My cardiologist performed a heart catheterization to find that one of the bypassed arteries was totally blocked. First off they need to do a catheterization to find out exactly what is going on. It could be relieved by medication, but may need more extensive tests and work on his heart. Most of all, listen to what Dr. Harrington says above. DON"T WAIT.

JustmeJoe replied to 11CUPS's response:
Hi all, I am a cardiac patient post stent implants to CM and LAD, RAC is 100% occluded with minor tributary supply from the LAD. Our bodies are a marvelous creation. It is a stand alone miracle machine. Doctors have diagnostics and histiory to submit an opinion and recommend follow up care. You on the other hand havre a more powerful tool, "Your Body's Voice". When something is awry it will shout out to you and present as very specific symptoms. We are not schooled in the deciphering of this Voice and depend on trying to relate this information to your Cardiologist for a treatment regimen.. We need to be our own advocate here in the care of our Hearts.

You will instinctually know what is going on in your heart. It will take practice to translate this voice to be consistent with the diagnostic indicators and demand quality care and demand a diagnosis and a prognosis. If these are not forth-coming, request another medical provider who has more of your best interest foremaost on his agenda.

house01 responded:
I have a similar problem, had triple by-pass 2 years ago, had ICD inplanted 1 year ago and I still have shortness of breath, a pain in my lower chest and get very dizzy. My cardiologist says my problem is not heart related. Had test after test, wore heart monitor, still having same problem. Don't know what to do..

DeadManWalking56 replied to house01's response:
house01, 11cups, Anon_42999

What kind of lifestyle changes have you made ? Some people make none, some a few things, very few do almost all the recommended changes.

I did change just about everything. My cardiologist and my HMO have been surprised I have not developed heart failure. My wife asked my doctor how long I might survive after the bypass surgery. He only gave her silence. She cried. That was 4 1/2 years ago.

Diet, stress elimination, proper exercise management, oral hygiene all can make a huge impact post stents and bypass surgery.

DMW

WestPalmGuy replied to Robert A Harrington, MD's response:
My dad, 87 years old, had a tripe bypass/valve replacement on October 26, 2011. He was doing great but now he has shortness of breath, gets dizzy at times and sleeps alot as he feels tired most of the time. After rehab he came to stay with me and a nurse and therapist come here 3 times a week. Shouldn't he be feeling a bit stronger by now instead of feeling weak?

cardiostarusa1 replied to WestPalmGuy's response:
Hi:

"But now he has shortness of breath, gets dizzy at times and sleeps a lot as he feels tired most of the time."

"Shouldn't he be feeling a bit stronger by now instead of feeling weak?"

One would tend to think so, though since everyone is unique, with each and every health/medical situation/case being different, and as applicbale to the patient, various problems/complications may/can arise shortly after open-heart surgery, especially if more than one type of cardiac surgery was performed at the same time or staged.

Very noteworthy, sometimes, in an otherwise textbook perfect surgery, recovery can be hampered, delayed or ruined due to side effects from one or more prescription drugs. One classic example being beta-blockers, which are notorious for causing tiredness, fatigue, lethargy, and lightheadedness/dizziness (typically due to making the blood pressure and/or heart rate get to low).

Best of luck to your 87-years-young dad down the road of life.

Take care,

CardioStar*

WebMD member (since 8/99)

-

-

Be well-informed

WebMD

Living with Heart Disease

Coronary artery disease (CAD)

CAD is a chronic disease with no cure. When you have coronary artery disease, it is important to take.....

Recognize the symptoms......

Reduce your risk factors......

Take your medications......

See your doctor for regular check-ups.....

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/guide/living-with-heart-disease

Coronary artery anatomy

Starting with the left anterior descending (LAD), the most critical, next to the ultra-critical left main (LM).

http://www.heartsite.com/html/lad.html

-

Good to know, for the primary and secondary prevention of heart attack and brain attack/stroke

Epidemiologic studies (EDS) have revealed risk factors (encompasses some new, novel, emerging) for atherosclerosis (typically affecting the carotid, coronary, and peripheral arteries), which includes age, gender, genetics (gene deletion, malfunction or mutation), diabetes (considered as being the highest risk factor) , smoking (includes second/thirdhand), inactivity, obesity (a global epidemic, "globesity"), high blood pressure (hypertension), high LDL, small, dense LDL, RLP (remnant lipoprotein), high Lp(a), high ApoB, high Lp-PLA2, high triglycerides, HDL2b, LOW HDL (less than 40 mg/dL, an HDL level of 60/65 mg/dL or more is considered protective against coronary artery disease), high homocysteine (now questionable), and high C-reactive protein (CRP/hs-CRP).

-

An informational/support site for heart valve replacement patients, and for those who may require this type of major surgery soon.

SEE: FORUMS

http://www.valvereplacement.com/forums/index.php

- -

KNOW your prescription drugs and KNOW then WELL!

WebMD

Drugs A-Z

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/index-drugs.aspx

Ask A Patient

Rate a drug, side effects, comments, etc.

http://askapatient.com/rateyourmedicine.htm

iGuard

http://www.iguard.org

Drugstore com

Drug Interaction Checker

Prescription and OTC drugs may interact with other drugs, foods, beverages and dietary supplements.

http://www.drugstore.com/pharmacy/drugchecker

-

Quote!

"Be a questioning patient. Talk to your doctor and ask questions. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!"

- Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society

WebMD/WebMD Health Exchanges
DOES NOT provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.

ChrisMomomo responded:
This EXACT same thing just happened to my dad. Triple bypass about three months ago, shortness of breath, and yesterday he called me from the hospital (his 7th time in since the procedure) saying that he blacked out while driving and was in a car accident. I hope your dad is doing better. They running tests on mine now.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

A Word A DayGuest Expert
It is important to keep physically fit. But it is just as critical to stay mentally fit as well. One form of mental aerobics is to learn a ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 11 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center