Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Feeling very tired
polishmodel posted:
Hello,
Im not sure if I should go to the ER with this but this is what happened to me. I am feeling so tired, when I get up my vision gets dark and I cant see anything for a few seconds. This happens everyday. I could sleep all day, my heart pounds a lot, and the other day I went out for coffee with my mom and was laughing while suddenly I felt so weak like I was about to pass out. I usually drink decaf coffee but that day I had caffeine. So I thought it might be that. I tested my pulse and it was 54. Then the next day I ordered decaf and the same thing happened. I felt weak and my legs and hands were tingling. I didnt faint though because I was sitting down. I should say that I am suffering from anorexia and I weight 110lbs for 5"7.
Im tired of feeling my heart beating so fast almost everyday and that episode in the coffee shop scared me. I do eat breakfast. Is it my heart or bad circulation?
thanks

cardiostarusa1 responded:
Hi:

"I'm not sure if I should go to the ER"

If not the ER, do make an appointment to see a doctor promptly.

"Is it my heart or bad circulation?"

Can't tell for sure.

In general-only here, of the various types of heart conditions, symptoms may/can be acute (occurring suddenly), be chronic (occurring over a long period of time), come and go (be transient, fleeting or episodic) or even be silent.

"I am suffering from anorexia"

About Anorexia

The effects of this on the heart include anorexia-induced heart failure and dangerous heart rhythms, fast rhythms e.g., ventricular tachycardia/fibrillation and slow rhythm, bradycardia, which may/can develop. Such abnormalities (which can sometimes prove fatal) can show up even in teenagers with anorexia.

Additional effects are reduced blood flow, a drop in blood pressure may occur, the heart muscle starves with a loss in size, and cholesterol levels tend to rise.

A primary danger to the heart is from abnormalities in the balance of minerals, such as potassium, calcium, magnesium, and phosphate, which are normally dissolved in the body's fluid.

The dehydration and starvation that occurs with anorexia can reduce fluid and mineral levels and produce a condition known as electrolyte imbalance.

Electrolytes, e.g., calcium and potassium, are critical for maintaining the electrical currents necessary for a normal heartbeat. An imbalance in these electrolytes may/can be very serious and even life-threatening unless fluids and minerals are replaced. Heart problems are a particular risk if/when anorexia is compounded by bulimia.

Sometimes, doctors can hear a heart murmur (a turbulent sound) which may/can be due to shrinkage (atrophy) in size of the heart muscle which occurs as patients lose muscle mass as well as body fat stores.

Anorexics lose not only body fat stores but also lean body mass in the form of striated muscle and heart muscle. This can result in decreases in heart size and the development of abnormal blood flow dynamics through the heart chambers and valves.

ALWAYS be proactive in your health care and treatment. Most important, communicate/interact well with your doctor(s). Best of luck down the road of life.

Take care,

CardioStar*

WebMD member (since 8/99)

-

-

Be well-informed

WebMD

Heart Disease TYPES

Men and Women

Acquired in life or congenital (born with it)

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/heart-disease-men

Heart disease SYMPTOMS

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/guide/heart-disease-symptoms

Mayo Clinic

Heart Disease

Definition. Symptoms. Causes. Risk factors. Complications. Tests and diagnosis. Prevention......

Heart disease is a broad term used to describe a range of diseases that affect your heart, and in some cases, your blood vessels. The various diseases that fall under the umbrella of......

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/heart-disease/DS01120

-

LEARN ABOUT the Heart

WebMD

The Heart: (Human Anatomy) Pictures, Definition, Location in the Body and Heart Problems

http://www.webmd.com/heart/picture-of-the-heart

WebMD Health/The Cleveland Clinic

How the Healthy Heart Works

Arteries, Chambers, Valves

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/healthy-heart-works

Your-Doctor

How the Heart Pumps

Animated Tutorial

http://your-doctor.com/healthinfocenter/medical-conditions/cardiovascular/heartpump-tutorial.html

-

Quote!

"Be a questioning patient. Talk to your doctor and ask questions. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!"

- Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society

It's your future......be there.

. .

WebMD/WebMD Health Exchanges does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.

NEVER delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on WebMD.

If you have a medical emergency call 911.

polishmodel replied to cardiostarusa1's response:
Thank you for your reply. My condition is chronic. It has been for a few months now but I never felt faint before.

DeadManWalking56 responded:
Polishmodel:

Anorexics are well known for extremely bad nutrition and weak hearts which frequently leads to early death.

American pop singer Karen Carpenter is a classic example. She died at age 33.

Please try to learn more, and if you have significant savings, improve your nutrition, start an easy cardiac rehab program, and quit modeling if it requires you to be anorexic.

A trip to the ER the next time may save your life

List me very concerned.

DMW

Jody06 responded:
Model, I am in the medical field and your heart rate at 58 is slow. it could have slowed more than it was when you checked it. this is a very dangerous condition. PLEASE, either go to the ER the next time this happens or make a stat appointment with your doc. I have seen people with a slow heart rate and the complaints vary from person to person. Anything from dizziness to passing out completely. PLEASE take care of yourself.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Mediterranean DietGuest Expert
The Mediterranean diet has long been recognized as a booster of heart health. It is linked to lower risks of heart disease, stroke, ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 12 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center