Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Heart patient with minor blockage in lower heart
tigger_270 posted:
'My husband has been a heart patient for 3 years. He has 4 stents back to back ("full metal jacket") in his LAD. He suffers from chonic A-fib, Congestive Heart Failure and corenary artery disease. He is on a handful of meds. All has been going well over the past 3 years. Echo cardiogram and Nucular Stress test perform last week due to tightness in chest, pain radiating up left side of neck, dizzines, headache, numbness in right arm. Have call cardiologist 2 times for test results and have received NO response. Saw regular PCP, she indicated the results state ejection fraction at 54% (good news) but minor blockage in lower part of heart. Why wouldn`t I have heard back from the cardiologist - any blockage in a heart paitent, exspecially one who is now experiances problems, should be of concern correct????'.

CardiostarUSA1 responded:
Hi:

"Have call cardiologist 2 times for test results and have received NO response."

This is unacceptable.

"Why wouldn`t I have heard back from the cardiologist"

Good question, and one that needs to be answered by the cardiologist.

"Any blockage in a heart patient, especially one who is now experiencing problems, should be of concern, correct????"

Correct, especially since a minor blockage may/can become a major or total blockage at any time.

Coronary artery disease (CAD) is a lifelong unpredictable (can exhibit periods of stabilization, acceleration, and even some regression) condition, requiring a continuum of care.

Coronary stents (drug-eluting or bare-metal) are only a Band-aid or spot-treatment, as this doesn't address the atherosclerotic disease process and what drives the progression.

Good doctor-patient/patient-doctor communication and understanding is so very important, essential at ALL times.

Best of luck to your husband and you down the road of life.

Take care,

CardioStar*

WebMD member (since 8/99)

-

-

Be well-informed

WebMD

Living with Heart Disease

Coronary Artery Disease (CAD)

When you have CAD, it is important to take good care of your heart for the rest of your life......

This is especially true if you have had an interventional procedure or surgery to improve blood flow to the heart....../It is up to......

Recognize the symptoms......

Reduce your risk factors.....

Take your medications......

See your doctor for regular check-ups......

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/guide/living-with-heart-disease

Coronary artery anatomy

Starting with the left anterior descending (LAD), the most critical, next to the ultra-critical left main (LM).

http://www.heartsite.com/html/lad.html

_ . _

The symptoms of artery-narrowing atherosclerosis are highly variable. Those with mild atherosclerosis may present with clinically important symptoms and signs of disease and heart attack, or absolute worst case scenario, sudden cardiac death (SCD) may be the first and only symptom of coronary artery disease (CAD). However, many individuals with anatomically advanced disease may have no symptoms and experience no functional impairment.

_ . _

Good to know, for the primary and secondary prevention of heart attack and brain attack/stroke

Epidemiologic studies (EDS) have revealed risk factors for atherosclerosis (typically affecting the coronary, carotid, and peripheral arteries), which includes age, gender, genetics (gene deletion, malfunction, or mutation), diabetes (cosidered as being the highest risk factor), smoking (includes secondhand), inactivity, obesity (a global epiemic, "globesity", high blood pressure (hypertension), high LDL, high Lp(a), high ApoB, high Lp-PLA2, high triglycerides, low HDL (less than 40 mg/dL, an HDL level of 60/65 mg/dL or more is considered protective against coronary artery disease), high homocysteine, and high C-reactive protein (CRP/hs-CRP).

-

Quote!

"Be a questioning patient. Talk to your doctor and ask questions. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!"

- Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society

WebMD/WebMD Health Exchanges does not
provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.

cbrucejohnson responded:
I am a heart attack survivor and I would be considering a new doctor..great that u are advocating for your husband.

James Beckerman, MD, FACC responded:
I can totally understand your frustration...I would keep trying - because you need to know whether it is recommended for your husband to undergo an angiogram or changes in his medications.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Coffee Can Lower Depression Risk in WomenGuest Expert
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204010604576594853506227020.html More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center