Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Hi Doc
Pushparani posted:
I am a cardiac patient and have a stent done about 2 yrs ago. I had stenosis of the stent 3 months later. I had another stent replaced. I have recently lost my son and have recurrence of symptoms. I had a stress test done and had a positive EST. What do I do now?

DUKE MEDICINE
Robert A Harrington, MD responded:
Dear Pushparani-

First, I am sorry to hear about the loss of your son,

Coronary stenting has been a major step forward in alleviating chest pain symptoms in patients with coronary blockages. Unfortunately, while a major advance over balloon angioplasty, stents do still re-narrow in some patients to a point where repeat procedures are needed. If you have recurrent symptoms and a positive stress test, especially showing decreased blood flow (ischemia) to the area supplied by the stented blood vessel, it is possible, maybe even likely, that your doctor will want to perform a heart catheterization to examine the previously placed stent but also other non-stented areas as well. Based upon the results of the heart cath, coupled with knowledge of your stress test plus your symptoms, he/she will make a recommendation that will include medical therapy plus possibly a repeat stent procedure. If blockages are very severe, surgery is sometimes also considered.

Bottomline, work with your doctor about what options fit best for you.

Best of luck

Bob H

Pushparani replied to Robert A Harrington, MD's response:
Thank you doc. Do u think It will be dangerous to wait until Jan to do Angiogram.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Nix Grapefruit & Statin DrugsExpert
Grapefruit & statin drugs can be a bad combination. Unlike other citrus fruits, grapefruit contains substances that disable certain ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 15 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center