Skip to content
Atrial Flutter
stinger2k posted:
A couple of weeks ago I woke with my heart pounding and racincing fast. scarred me so I went to ER. I heart rate was around 140 and they were able to convert back to normal with IV drugs. Sent me home to follow up with GP. My GP did blood work, including thyroid. All normal. Referred to a cardiologist who had report from the ER visit and also my stress test from 8 months ago and a echo from 3 months, both were normal. I am 48 with HBP controlled well with meds. He said at this point it isn't life threatening, just a nuisance. I did drink quite a bit the night before at a BBQ and he said this may have triggered it. He wants to do another echo in Dec. Does this seem like an appropriate approach to take? We said with my recent tests there doesn't seem to be any heart or lung problems, just something that happened that may or may not occur.
Thanks,
Steve

CardiostarUSA1 responded:
Hi:

"I did drink quite a bit the night before at a BBQ and he said this may have triggered it."

As applicable, some individuals have reported, palpitations (PACs, PVCs), atrial fibrillation (AF), atrial flutter (Afl), or tachyarrhythmias (tachycardia, supraventricular tachycardia/paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia) being triggered off by
drinking, especially those containing alcohol or caffeine.

This is known as an indirect cause or a "reactive-arrhythmia". This may/can also be a side effect of some foods (which includes additives and preservatives) or drugs (prescription and illegal).

"He said at this point it isn't life threatening, just a nuisance."

During actual (100% confirmed) atrial flutter (Afl), electrical signals in the atria (upper chambers)are abnormally fast. Unlike the much more common atrial fibrillation (AF), which the upper chambers beat erratically, in AFl the upper chambers beat rapidly but regularly.

eMedicine Health

Atrial flutter

The main danger of atrial flutter is that....

With proper treatment, atrial flutter is rarely life-threatening. Complications of atrial flutter, in particular....

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/atrial_flutter/article_em.htm

"He wants to do another echo in Dec. Does this seem like an appropriate approach to take?"

It does (looking at it from a patient's point of view/perspective).

ALWAYS be proactive in your health care and treatment. Most mportant, communicate/interact well with your doctor(s).

Best of luck down the road of life.

Take care,

CardioStar*

WebMD member (since 8/99)

-

-

Be well-informed

LEARN ABOUT the heart's delicate and precise electrical conduction system

Your-doctor

Animated Tutorial

http://your-doctor.com/healthinfocenter/medical-conditions/cardiovascular/conductiontutorial.html

Heart Rhythm Society

Patients and Public Information Center

http://www.hrspatients.org

-

HeartSite

Heart info, cardiac tests (commonly performed, mainstream types) info, actual diagnostic images

http://www.heartsite.com

-

Quote!

"Be a questioning patient. Talk to your doctor and ask questions. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!"

- Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society

It's your future......be there. :-)

. .

WebMD/WebMD Health Exchanges does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.

stinger2k replied to CardiostarUSA1's response:
Thanks for the reply cardio. I will make sure to read all the links you sent me. I did read some, and one thing I know is I didn't have anything SOB, chest pains, weakness, lightheaded, nothing. Just a heart going crazy. So I guess that's good and my heart was moving enough blood to keep me going.
Thanks again

littlewende responded:
I have had similar reactions after drinking wine. I know now that I cannot drink over 2 glasses in an evening or I risk waking up to one of these "attacks". I have PVC's also but this will wake me from a sound sleep, with my heart racing as if I were running in a marathon! Then I will have some really fluttery feelings and it almost seems like my heart is "resetting" back to a normal beating pattern. It has been really scary in the past, I am learning to deal with it now--the best thing I can do is limit my alchohol intake! I have also had a lot of trips to the ER during the daytime, for PVC's that got really bad and I thought I was going to pass out--or die! I have worn the monitor for 24 hrs and the cardiologist said I had over 2,500 PVC's during that time. Also had an acho and it was normal. Just for women--these seemed worse when I was going through menopause! I am now 60.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Omega 3 (Harp Seal Oil): One of the Best Supplement for Heart Diseases
Omega 3 is a must for Heart Disease, especially Harp Seal Oil Omega3. More Info(Harp Seal Oil vs. Fish Oil) I prefer canadian products ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center