Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
25/F Biopsy after car accident
JDGreystone posted:
JDGreystone posted: I was in a car accident and after reoccurent plueral and percardial effussions I had a Percardial Window put in. After getting my records back I saw this biopsy from that procedure and I have no clue if it means anything. The procedure was done two weeks after Chest Trauma.

Pericardium Segment Biopsy:

Mesothelial lined Fibroconnective tissue and accompanying fibrin showing chronic inflamation, granulation tissue and mesothelial hyperplasia; no evidence of maligancy.

I have not felt well since the accident 4 months ago but my blood work is normal and EKG's are normal. I cant find an explanation of why I still feel nauseas, tired, and bloated.

DUKE MEDICINE
Robert A Harrington, MD responded:
Dear JD Greystone-

You pose an interesting question as to what to make of this percardial biopsy reading. Much of this interpretation is what we see with chronic, nonspecific inflammation of the pericardium. Lots of things can cause this including viral infections. These can also be associated with pericardial effusions (as you experienced). Or, these type of inflammatory reactions can also be seen after chest trauma as can be experienced in a car accident. Bottomline is that many things can cause a pericardial effusion, even recurrent ones. I'm bothered by your continued symptoms of nausea and fatigue. It's worth mentioning to your MD and asking if infectious and inflammatory causes of pericardial effusion have been evaluated as some of these can also cause the kind of symptoms that you are experiencing.

Good luck with this

Bob H

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

A Word A DayGuest Expert
It is important to keep physically fit. But it is just as critical to stay mentally fit as well. One form of mental aerobics is to learn a ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 10 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center