Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Sinoatrial node failing
AmandaLoki posted:
Is it a big deal if the Sinoatrial node fails? Ive had a wierd heart beat as long as 7 years ago. It got worse and better. A week ago i had a heart beat or pause that took my breath away. I went to the Dr and he did EKG or ECG and he said my electricals came back abnormal and this sinoatrial node not working or not working well is why. Is this a reason to be woried?

DUKE MEDICINE
Robert A Harrington, MD responded:
Dear AmandaLoki-

I'd need to know a bit more information to really be helpful (basic things like your age, history of heart disease or other medical problems) but in general, SA (sinoatrial) node dysfunction can indeed be a serious problem. The SA node controls the start of the electrical system of your heart beats. The electrical impulse starts in the SA node then after passing through the upper chambers of the heart (atria) travels through the AV node into the lower chambers (ventricles). These electrical impulses cause the heart to contract or beat. As we get older, the electrical system of the heart can work less well (like many things as we age!). Sometimes this is a condition that the doctors just watch but sometimes this results in the need for a pacemaker. Talk with your doctor as to what your ECG findings mean and what the treatment options might be.

If a pacemaker is one of the treatment options, you might find it useful to visit Cardiosmart (from the American College of Cardiology): http://www.cardiosmart.org/HeartDisease/CTT.aspx?id=898.

Best of luck

Bob H

AmandaLoki replied to Robert A Harrington, MD's response:
Thank you so much for replying, I have no history of heart disease not evin in my family at all. My only for sure problem is im very depressed. Ive had this funny heart beat for awile im just now able to afford to go to the Dr. My mom and dad never could. Im in the middle of also finding out why my platelet count is low. Or so we think they took my blood 3 times and it comes back "clumping" they said she may be doing it wrong.(dont know now how you could take it wrong she has done it for 15 years). She said it takes a wile for my blood to clot and she cant see platelets with tyhe naked eye. Thats it really. Im starting to think now maybe what i thought was nomal is not. Ive fainted os blacked out so many times but always thought the heat of something is causeing it to happen. Im always short of beath witch i thought would stop after smokeing. butg has not. Any suggjestions?

AmandaLoki replied to Robert A Harrington, MD's response:
Im 25 years old.I smoked for at least 5 years quit about 5 months ago. He said evin thought my electricals where messed up he said "I'm not worried about anything on this report. If your Sinoatrial node fails you have a back up"

anthonypatrick replied to Robert A Harrington, MD's response:
Hello my name is Anthony I recently went to a e.r. here in california I was admitted with chest pains upon my notifiing the registrar i was immediatly taken in to the triage nurse were i told her the problem which was i had a chest pain the day before but it had subsided went to bed and woke up with it again only constant blood was taken at 715 pm toconin levels were 1.77 i was given aspirin and adivan 6 hours later my troconin was 9.75 still no other treatment was applied (nitro glycerin etc ) i waited in the e.r. for another 13 hours untill finally being transfered to the cad unit in west hollywood were i imediatly went under surgury for angioplasty and a stent ii feel the hospital is negligent for not acting way sooner in there treatment as a result a great deal of unnecessary damage occured wereas it could have been avoided had they reacted when the troconin level was 1.77 or even at 9.75 not knowing what was occuring i walked out of the hospital with no interfereance during this heart attack please let me know your proffesional opinion thank you anthony ambro 818 510 7350 ambro1@live.com

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Mediterranean DietGuest Expert
The Mediterranean diet has long been recognized as a booster of heart health. It is linked to lower risks of heart disease, stroke, ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 12 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center