Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Coronary Artery Disease
bev79083 posted:
A couple of weeks ago, I had my fourth angioplasty on the same stents on the left side of my heart. After the procedure, the coronary artery went into a spasm and I ended up with a bottle of nitro going into my IV. Within the last couple of days, I have been experiencing pain on the right side of my chest that goes to my back, up my neck and down my arm to the elbow. The pain has woke me up for several nights. I tried the nitro spray the last time and the pain seemed to ease. I have never heard of anyone with chest pains on the right side. Is this common or can it be something else that the nitro might of helped on. I am a 53 yr. old women with coronary artery disease and 2 stents. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

cardiostarusa1 responded:
Hi:

It's uncommon, if/when it correlates to coronary artery disease.

Beyond coronary artery spasm, as applicable, there is esophageal spasm, which can respond to nitroglycerin and calcium channel blockers, and can mimic angina-like chest pain, sometimes radiating to the arm, neck, jaw, and back.

Non-cardiac chest pain

RIGHT-SIDED chest pain

Gall Bladder Pain/Attack

One may/can experience sporadic pains in the middle of the upper abdomen, or just below the ribs on the right side. This pain may/can spread (radiate or travel) to the chest (perceived as chest or thoracic pain), right shoulder or between the shoulder blades and may/can be accompanied by nausea and vomiting and sometimes excessive flatulence.

Noteworthy, it can be difficult to distinguish the pain from other conditions/diseases such gastric ulcer, back problems, cardiac problems, pneumonia and kidney stones.

Additionally, right-sided pain may/can be caused by problems such as liver inflammation, lung tumors/masses and a muscle pull or torn ligaments.

Coronary stents are just a Band-aid or spot treatment, as this does not address the underlying disease process and what drives the progression.

Most important, coronary artery disease (CAD) is a lifelong unpredictable (can exhibit periods of stabilization, acceleration, and even some regression) condition, requiring a continuum of care, as well as good doctor-patient/patient-doctor communication and understanding at ALL times.

Take care,

C*

-

-

Be well-informed

WebMD

Living with Heart Disease

Coronary Artery Disease (CAD)

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/guide/living-with-heart-disease

-

Heart-Healthy Foods

It's never too late

Avoid foods high in saturated fat and cholesterol. Choose skim or low-fat milk, low-fat yogurt and reduced-fat cheeses. Eat more fish and poultry. Limit servings to five to seven ounces a day. Trim visible fat. Limit egg yolks. Substitute two egg whites for one whole egg or use an egg-substitute. Eat more fruits and vegetables, whole grains, breads and cereals. Use less salt and fat. Season with herbs and spices rather than with sauces, gravies and butter.

-

Good to know, for the primary and secondary prevention of heart attack and brain attack/stroke

Epidemiologic studies (EDS) have revealed risk factors (encompasses some new, novel, emerging) for atherosclerosis (typically affecting the carotid, coronary, and peripheral arteries), which includes age, gender, genetics (gene deletion, malfunction, or mutation), diabetes (considered as being the highest risk factor), smoking (includes secondhand), inactivity, obesity (a global epidemic, "globesity"), high blood pressure (hypertension), high LDL, small, dense LDL, RLP (remnant lipoprotein), high Lp(a), high ApoB, high Lp-PLA2, high triglycerides, HDL2b, LOW HDL (less than 40 mg/dL, an HDL level of 60/65 mg/dL or more is considered protective against coronary artery disease), high homocysteine (now questionable), and high C-reactive protein (CRP/hs-CRP).

-

Quote!

"Be a questioning patient. Talk to your doctor and ask questions. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!"

- Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society

It's your future....be there.

. .

WebMD/WebMD Health Exchanges does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.

James Beckerman, MD, FACC responded:
While many people associated angina with left sided chest pain, we now understand that symptoms can manifest themselves in a variety of ways, including right sided chest pain. Interestingly, women have been identified as frequently having symptoms that are different from "typical male" symptoms. I can't say for certain whether your specific symptoms are angina or not - hard to make a diagnosis online! But it seems that you should continue to communicate with your doctor about it. Take care!

bev79083 replied to James Beckerman, MD, FACC's response:
Thanks so much.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Nix Grapefruit & Statin DrugsExpert
Grapefruit & statin drugs can be a bad combination. Unlike other citrus fruits, grapefruit contains substances that disable certain ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 15 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center