Skip to content
angioplasty
bev79083 posted:
Why does some people have to go through numerous angioplasty's when stents are involved? Since my stents were put in in 2008, I have had 4 angioplasty's on the same stents. My stents are in a place where the artery makes a "V". Could this be the problem?

jruedab responded:
I only went once so far, but as I understand, the reasons for going more than once are:

1) The stent collapse
2) There are a re-stenosis over the stent (plaque build up inside the stent)
3) There is a stenosis in another place of the arteries
4) There is a clog

What surprise me is that you had go so many times and you have not asked why!!! So next time do not forget to ask,

Jesus

cardiostarusa1 responded:
Hi Bev:

"Why does some people have to......"

Sometimes, a problem can occur at the stented site, such as restenosis (renarrowing, in some cases, even with DES, especially if/when there is resistance to the drug), or new or accelerated atherosclerotic plaque buildup, requiring another angioplasty and possible re-stenting or "stent sandwich" (placing a stent within a stent).

"My stents are in a place where the artery makes a V. Could this be the problem?"

It may /could be. Your cardiologist should advise you on that specifically.

In general, as reported, though the treatment of bifurcation (where the artery splits into two) blockages/lesions is a challenge to the interventional cardiologist, the introduction of drug-eluting stents (DES) has significantly reduced the restenosis problem in bifurcation blockages/lesions.

Remember, coronay stents are only a Band-aid or spot treatment. Stents do not address the underlying disease process and what drives the atherosclerotic progression.

Take extra-good care,

C*

-

-

Circulation. 2010;122:5-7 - American Heart Association

Drug-Eluting Stent Restenosis

An Uncommon Yet Pervasive Problem

Extraction from a full text article

http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/extract/122/1/5

-

Quote!

"Be a questioning patient. Talk to your doctor and ask questions. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!"

- Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society

It's your future......be there.

. .

WebMD/WebMD Health Exchanges does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.

Georjie responded:
I had my first stent in 2008,have had 2-way bypass, and more stents that followed. I am scheduled for my 10th angiogram on Tuesday! To go from never having a problem before 2008 to this in 2010 is unbelievable for me. I am a 59 yr old female. Is there ever an end?

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Mediterranean DietGuest Expert
The Mediterranean diet has long been recognized as a booster of heart health. It is linked to lower risks of heart disease, stroke, ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 12 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center