Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Whether Pacemakers cause tumors?
efficientenergy posted:
I had a Pacemaker put in 7 years ago,shortly after that about maybe a year later I had a small pea shape place come .Now 7 years later it is about the size and shape of a small egg.I did not tell my heart doctor until about three months ago.He said he would take it off when he put another battery.He has put another battery in and he did not take the tumor off.He said for me to come back in two months that he would continue keeping an eye on it.My doctor had two blood test run the day before i had my battery put in but i do not know what they were for.He said they turn out ok.My question is Has anyone else had a tumor come in the same place and doyou think the pacemaker generator caused it or the magnet? My heart doctor said it was caused by an arc from my pacemaker.Allso what do i do next?

James Beckerman, MD, FACC responded:
Thanks for posting!

It's unclear from your post whether you have a tumor or whether there might be another cause for this lump - a hematoma, a cyst, or even an infection. In my experience, I have never seen a tumor develop as a result of a pacemaker. It is probably a very unlikely coincidence, or perhaps there is another cause that you should explore further with your doctor. Imaging of the lump or even a biopsy may be appropriate.

Gloryrealm responded:

grandpalynn replied to Gloryrealm's response:
I am on my third pacemaker and have had no problems with tumors. My brother is on his 6th one and no problems like you described. I suggest that you go to your primary care physician and show it to him/her. It may not be anything but could possibly be something of significance. I had a lump on my right breast when I was 20 and ignored it. It grew and was cancerous. I am a male so I always am suspicious of anything that resembles a tumor.

jacobedward02 responded:
Vitamin D is important need of our heart, muscles and brain.
For more information please visit:http://www.doctorshealthpress.com/heart

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Nix Grapefruit & Statin DrugsExpert
Grapefruit & statin drugs can be a bad combination. Unlike other citrus fruits, grapefruit contains substances that disable certain ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 15 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center