Skip to content
heart murmer and left bundle branch
karenbramlitt posted:
I am 50 I have always had a heart murmmer. I was told last year that I also have left bundle branch block. The doctor did not seem to be concerned about them. How is this going to affect my health now that I am 50? I am over weight about 70lbs and I also have arthritis in my knees, hands and toes. Wil these get worse as I get older?

CardiostarUSA1 responded:
Hi: A heart murmur is a turbulent sound, which may/can come and go throughout life, and can be caused by various factors and conditions. The presence of a heart murmur does not necessarily indicate a disease or problem, and all heart problems do not cause heart murmurs. An echocardiogram can easily confirm or rule out various heart conditions. Left bundle branch block (LBBB), as seen on a routine resting electrocardiogram (ECG/EKG), is a commonly reported electrical conduction abnormality. As applicable, LBBB is often associated with coronary artery disease (CAD), though it can also occur in those who are heart-healthy. My sister (who's over 50) was diagnosed with LBBB several years ago, and as directed by a cardiologist that she was referred to (by her primary care physician), had the appropriate diagnostic imaging (echocardiogram and nuclear stress test) performed, in which in her particular individualized case, the tests were normal, and since then, has been going about her life without any limitations/restrictions/worries. Most important, communicate/interact well with your doctors. Take care CardioStar* WebMD community member (8/99) - - b Be well-informed About com b Bundle branch block Causes, significance and treatment Bundle branch block (BBB) is a relatively frequent finding on the electrocardiogram (ECG). Sometimes BBB itself needs to be treated; sometimes it indicates significant underlying cardiac disease that needs to be treated; and sometimes it has so little significance that no treatment is necessary at all...... heartdisease.about.com/cs/arrhythmias/a/BBB.htm b Right and Left Bundle Branch Block heartdisease.about.com/cs/arrhythmias/a/BBB_2.htm Texas Heart Institute Bundle Branch Block b Symptoms If there is nothing else wrong with your heart, you probably will not feel any symptoms of bundle branch block. In fact....... b Treatment In most cases, bundle branch block does not need treatment. But patients who have...... texasheart.org/HIC/Topics/Cond/bbblock.cfm - WebMD b Heart Disease TYPES Men/Women i Acquired/Congenital www.webmd.com/heart-disease/heart-disease-men b SYMPTOMS my.webmd.com/content/pages/9/1675_57855.htm Mayo Clinic b Heart Disease Definition. Symptoms. Causes. Risk factors. Complications. Tests and diagnosis. Treatments and drugs. Prevention...... Heart disease is a broad term used to describe a range of diseases that affect your heart, and in some cases, your blood vessels. The various diseases that fall under the umbrella of heart disease include.... www.mayoclinic.com/health/heart-disease/DS01120 b Heart disease prevention: 5 strategies keep your heart healthy www.mayoclinic.com/health/heart-disease-prevention/WO00041 b HeartSite Heart info, cardiac tests (commonly performed, mainstream types) info, actual diagnostic images. www.heartsite.com - WebMD b Choosing a Weight-Loss Program www.webmd.com/diet/guide/choosing-weight-loss-program b The Diet Channel www.thedietchannel.com - - Health A to Z b Making the Most of Your Doctor Visits www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz/Atoz/common/standard/transform.jsp?requestURI=/healthatoz/Atoz/hc/men/life/alert05132004.jsp HealingWell b You and Your Doctor: It Takes Two to Tango Your medical care is a two way street...... www.healingwell.com/library/health/article.asp?author=salvucci&id=5 i Quote "Be a questioning patient. Talk to your doctor and ask questions. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!" - Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society . It's your future......be there. :-) . . b WebMD/WebMD message boards does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

A Word A DayGuest Expert
It is important to keep physically fit. But it is just as critical to stay mentally fit as well. One form of mental aerobics is to learn a ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 10 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center