Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
localized Edema
Monaleza posted:
Father has Localized edema, doctors say that Lasix 2x daily not working. Removed 4.2 liters of fluid from around lungs, but fluid returning. Legs and ankles are swollen to point of splitting. Has one kidney from birth. Kidney is functioning normally, blood pressure is good, had heart valve replaced 3 yrs ago, diagnosed with congestive heart failure at that time due to agent orange poisoning (VA doctors). They are now talking about a procedure similar to dialysis. I need to know what this procedure is about so I can advise father and family.
James Beckerman, MD, FACC responded:
It sounds as though they may be recommending ultrafiltration, which is a procedure to remove a significant amount of extra fluid. It seems as though your dad could benefit from hospitalization, where he could receive intravenous diuretics which are often more effective than the pill type - he likely has a significant amount of fluid to take off, and this could help do it more efficiently with better monitoring. I really wish him the best!
CardiostarUSA1 responded:

"They are now talking about a procedure similar to dialysis. I need to know what this procedure is...."

Some hospitals and medical centers have equipment that is specifically designed to remove (at a controlled and predictable rate, safer than using powerful and dangerous drugs) excess fluid from those who have fluid overload due to congestive heart failure (CHF).

As applicable, aquapheresis, a device-based therapy, is intended to remove extra salt and water from the blood and body, using a simple filtration technique.

Aquapheresis Therapy: A Better Way to Treat Fluid Overload

The very best of luck to your father down the road of life.

Take care,


WebMD member (since 8/99)



WebMD/WebMD Health Exchanges does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.

WebMD does not endorse any specific product, service, or treatment.
Monaleza replied to CardiostarUSA1's response:
it was aquapheresis, that the doctors used. The machine removed 8.4 liters before, my father's bp dropped to low, kidney output slowed to almost none, and suger went to over 200. They now have him on an IV diuretic again, hoping that will work for a while or until they can put him back on machine. Pneumonia has set in, so also on antibodies. Is there anything else that can be done.
rascal54 replied to James Beckerman, MD, FACC's response:
Dear Doctor:
I need to ask you, please. A dear friend who is a male and is 78 years old developed "MRSA" in the hospital with diarrhea and the rehab says it is IN the stool and also in the "nairs(sp?) in the nose. He also has pneumonia now and all of a sudden, severe swelling in his feet(tops too) and his legs toward the bottom are very "hard" feeling. Please tell the MRSA CONTAGIOUS if I visit him with NO mask or gown as someone said it was not as long as I did not have contact with his stool! Also....he sneezed right across from me and then a big, long piece of "mucus" 6" came down and hung there. They say it is in the "nairs" too.
I would like to ask.....what is your opinion on all of this? I am very frightened about it all. Thankyou very much.

James Beckerman, MD, FACC replied to rascal54's response:
Hi Sue,

The MRSA is potentially contagious if you don't wear a gown or mask or gloves. "Nares" is another way of saying nostrils/nasal passageways.

Many people are colonized with MRSA in their nares without having pneumonia or obvious evidence of infection.

It's a good idea to go with the recommendations to wear gloves/gown/mask etc. per the specific hospital guidelines. Best wishes to your friend during his recovery.

Helpful Tips

Mediterranean DietGuest Expert
The Mediterranean diet has long been recognized as a booster of heart health. It is linked to lower risks of heart disease, stroke, ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 12 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center