Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
I'm Wearing Red for...
Byroney_WebMD_Staff posted:

The American Heart Association again urges us to support Wear Red Day on Friday February 4th, to promote heart disease awareness and to honor those women who have heart disease, those who have passed, and those yet to be diagnosed. It also promotes awareness in our communities.

You may not know that heart disease kills women. In fact, this article on Women and Heart Disease states "Heart disease is the leading cause of death in women over 40 years old," and that "Every year, more than 400,000 U.S. women die of heart disease. This translates to approximately one death every minute."

Even if your heart is fine, these are people we know and love whose hearts aren't working right—or at all. It could be a co-worker's newborn daughter with a hole in her heart. A pregnant friend who was just diagnosed with cardiomyopathy. A grandmother who is fighting congestive heart failure.

We'd like to hear who you'll be wearing red Friday. Who in your life has been touched by heart disease? Or maybe you could share your own story of heart troubles?

I'll be wearing red head-to-toe this coming Friday for my mother, my grandmother, my sister, and my neighbor's little girl.

We also encourage you to post on Facebook and Twitter who you're wearing red for and include a link to this thread to share with others.

In support,

Byroney
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Shelly_Kaye responded:
I'm wearing red for my Grandmother, Grandfather and my dad. My grandparents are gone but my dad is still suffering every day from Heart Disease. So I'll be wearing red Friday for all of them.

Thank you Byroney, for reminding us.

butterflygarden responded:
I'll be wearing a bright red shirt on Friday in celebration of my grandmother, Emma. She was the inspiration of my childhood, and it was devastating when I lost her to a heart attack.

I'll also be thinking of all those other women out there who have heart disease sneak up on them. And, in my late 40s, I'll also be making sure that I take steps to keep my heart healthy in the years to come.

Here's to all my fellow women!

Butterfly

SweetSusieB responded:
While pregnant with my son 21 years ago, I had a few seizures one morning, come to find out my heart rate was dipping into the 20's. Went to the ER and fit with an external pace maker. I was 29 years old.
A healthy baby boy was born and I'm healthy today, after many tests and treatments, and a long hospital stay.
Since then I have educated myself on symptoms, mine were obvious then, but for many I don't think the symptoms are that clear. We need to take care of ourselves!
I'll be wearing red for myself! :)

OliviaV responded:
I think this a a great idea! I am going to make sure to wear red.

Thanks,

Olivia

Monamia responded:
I'll be wearing red on Friday but those I've lost to heart disease are never far from my thoughts throughout the year.

My beloved mother-in-law (yes, really, she's the person in my life who taught me how to really love unconditionally and who set an example of how to be a great mother-in-law, something that comes in handy now).

My father-in-law who couldn't stay in this world after his wife died and slipped away fairly quickly.

The love of my life who had dilated cardiomyopathy. About five years before he died he was given five years to live and that's about how long. Thankfully, it ended up being a quick death for him, and we lived and laughed until the end.

And now both my mother and my brother are dealing with serious heart issues.

So I'm joining in on wearing red on Friday. And I've mentioned it on my facebook already.

SoCalSuz responded:
I'll be wearing a red shirt for my grandmother. I lost her before I could tell her I was pregnant with her first grandchild. My now 6 year old is named after her.

I'll put on a red headband for my mother - an undiagnosed hole in her heart led to a stroke - she passed away four months ago.

I'll be posting this on Facebook - all of my midwest friends are iced in today so I know Facebook traffic is heavy :)

Suz

Cor_Dawg responded:
I'll be wearing red on Friday for my very good friend, Albert. If we were able to weigh hearts based on their measure of compassion, care, love and respect, Albert's heart would break the scales.

He suffered congestive heart failure in 2003 and has had multiple surgeries, stints, and defibrillators he's dealt with. All of these heart health challenges have caused Albert to daily question his time left here. It's so sad to see this in him after he has been so full of confidence and strength.

I'll be wearing red as a reminder to keep Albert, and all others suffering with heart issues, in my prayers and positive thoughts. My hope is that those thoughts impact from afar and bring a new stronger will to fight for health and stop accepting the worst as the inescapable future.

MalibuSkipper responded:
I will also be sporting my red for the members of this community and their love ones suffering from heart disease! Personally, my family has a history of strokes, so I will also be remembering my amazing grandparents and the wonderful times that we had together.

Thanks,
Skippy

EleanorAnne responded:
We recently gathered together for a surprise 70th birthday party for a dear, close friend. Unfortunatley, she was unable to attend. She was resting in a hospital bed due to undiagnosed heart problems and atrial fib while we celebrated her!

Last month my childhood friend was having flu-like symptoms.
At 46 years old, she collapsed from a heart attack, had angioplasty and several stents placed.

Both of these "healthy women" do not look like they have heart problems. This disease can attack without much warning.

I will wear red for my friends and others like them to promote awareness for hearts.

davedsel57 responded:
Caprice made us aware of this in the Diabetes Community, so I felt I would also reply here.

Now that I am aware of this I will wear red this Friday, February 4. It will be in honor of:

My mother who passed away from a major heart attack and valve failure in September 200.

My wife's mother who has survived two major heart attacks (1988 and 1995) and triple bypass surgery in 1995. MIL is also an insulin-dependent type 2 diabetic.

I have several red shirts and enjoy wearing that color, so this will be easy and for a very good cause.

James Beckerman, MD, FACC responded:
I will be wearing red for my patients, to help them remember that they are not alone.

twobeauties responded:
I'm wearing red, along with my husband and two daughters for everyone born with Congenital Heart Defects... our youngest daughter was born with CHDs and has had three open heart surgeries to date. We honor her and every other CHD warrior today and February 7-14th, 2011!

josie468 responded:
I'm wearing red for my mother that has congestive heart failure.

G_Wall2001 responded:
I am wearing red for my daughter who earned her angel wings in 2006 due to HLHS.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Nix Grapefruit & Statin DrugsExpert
Grapefruit & statin drugs can be a bad combination. Unlike other citrus fruits, grapefruit contains substances that disable certain ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 15 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center