Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Papillary thickening shown in Prenatal Level 2 Ultrasound
dance1982 posted:
Hello I had a level 2 ultrasound of my baby last week. I am 22 weeks pregnant. The dr. who read the sonogram told me he saw a thickening or calcification in the papillary muscle of the mitrovalve. Well, I think that is what he said. I was a bit stunned. Anyway , he told me not to be concerned at all. All of my other tests were fine and he didn't feel this was an issue. Is there a doctor on line who can direct me on this? I a can't help but worry, even though the doctor said not to.

marjo20 responded:
How did everything turn out on this? Is your baby okay? I am 20 weeks and they did my routine ultrasound and they told me there was thickening of the papillary muscle. I am very worried about my little one and didn't see any of the experts reply to this but I saw it was 3 years ago.
Thank You.

dance1982 replied to marjo20's response:
Hi! I am so sorry it took me this long to respond. After that ultrasound, at 28 weeks I was send for a fetal echocardiogram. Of course I was completely worried. The cardiologist was very nice ....put me at ease...and after the test she assured me everything was fine. My baby boy was born healthy. I hope your baby will be fine as well. I believe that this "Thickening " they refer to is a "soft marker" for down syndrome. All of my other tests were negative so they didn't feel it was a concern. But when someone tells you there may be a problem with your unborn baby's heart, you are just ridden with fear. I really do hope all is well.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

A Word A DayGuest Expert
It is important to keep physically fit. But it is just as critical to stay mentally fit as well. One form of mental aerobics is to learn a ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 10 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center