Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Chest pains while eating?
An_193067 posted:
First off all, I fully intend to call my doctor in the morning about this, but I was hoping to get a little information on this from here. The last couple of nights, I've experienced severe chest pains while I've eaten food. It's happened once before a couple of weeks back, but I didn't think too much of it at the time. Last night, I was able to get myself to relax, and the pain went away. Tonight, however, that method didn't work. The pain didn't go away until I vomited the little bit of food I had actually consumed to that point. I didn't feel the pain spread to my arms, so I'm hoping it wasn't a heart attack. These moments only seem to occur when I'm starting to eat something at nighttime. The meals in question were steak and potatoes that my buddy cooked. Anybody have any idea what's going on with me?

cjl0510 responded:
Its very possible it could be heart burn. Have you tried taking tums.. or an antacid? I work in the ER and we actually have quite a few people come in with pains that feel like a heart attack and it just ends up as indigestion. Just a thought. Good luck though. Keep us updated.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

A Word A DayGuest Expert
It is important to keep physically fit. But it is just as critical to stay mentally fit as well. One form of mental aerobics is to learn a ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 10 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center