Skip to content
Questions about activity and exercise after stent
jawil77 posted:
I am 56 yr old and had a stent in my left marginal artery placed in January 2011 due to a blockage. I also had some minimal damage due to a heart attack that the blockage caused. All my other arteries were in very good shape. My cardiologist said I didn't need cardiac rehab. He did not restrict me from activity. This whole event was a complete surprise to me. I don't want to cause a problem with the stent or over stress my heart, so I am gradually increasing exercise. I got moderate exercise off and on previously. Now I find moderate exercise makes me a little tired for a day or two, but I feel better each week. I want to know if it's okay to do exercises like situps, pushups or jumping jacks? Will that hurt my heart or the stent in any way? I water skied last summer. Is it okay to try it again or it is too dangerous? When can these activities be done again.

BillH99 responded:
" but I feel better each week"

Good, it shows that the exercise is helping.

" I am gradually increasing exercise. I got moderate exercise off and on previously. Now I find moderate exercise makes me a little tired for a day or two"

It is not clear, but it sounds like you might not be exercising as regularly as you should, then over doing it just a bit. You should not be tired 2 days latter. But you say "a little".

You should be doing aerobic excerise as least 5 times a week.

" I want to know if it's okay to do exercises like situps, pushups or jumping jacks?"

Yes, strength and resistance exercises are recommended.

But jumping jacks can be a high intensity aerobic, so I would slow work up to those. I don't know what aerobics you are doing, but add a minute or two to your walking and each week increase it. Or do similar on the treadmill or bike.

Did you have an exercise stress test after the procedure? If you did then that should give you some confidence.

If not try to get your cardiologist to give you a referral to the exercise physiologist in the cardio rehab. Or try and find one on your own.

You just need 1 hour with him to help setup a program.

"? I water skied last summer. Is it okay to try it again or it is too dangerous?"

Absolutely. I did last year 9 months after bypass surgery. But my sistualtion is a little different. I never had an MI. I just had one big block and had shorts of breath.

Actually I only went on my wakeboard as I had rotator cuff surgery 4 months earlier and that takes a LONG TIME to completely heal. And I did not want the extra pull on my shoulder that skiing would have.

And I stayed on long line and did not do any of the wake jumps, or stuff like that, that would cause jerks on the arm.

And I am an old geezer (67).

A0401K50 responded:
I had a stent put in about 5 years ago. Immediately following major foot surgery. I had absolutely NO problems with the stent itself. I actually was part of a study and they use this stent all the time now. Due to foot issues I've not been as active as I should have been, but recently (after a bout with lower back problems) I decided to start getting more active. I walk almost every day at work, not usually on weekends yet. I am up to 30-35 min. on the treadmill and 10-15 min. on the bike. I am feeling much better and actually can tell if i don't do the exercises. Don't try too much to begin with...start with a half hr. of moderate exercise. Use a 5% incline on the treadmill when you feel comfortable. You will notice the immediate increase in your stamina. You don't need to kill yourself doing this, just take it easy and increase a little at a time. It will pay off in the long run. I see my regular MD twice a year and heart Dr. once a year, I will be 61 next month and all my test results have been coming back marked "excellent!" My goal is to get in an hour of exercise 5 days per week, and increase where and when I can. I have to be careful of that lower back! By the way, i was not sent for rehab either! The Drs. just encourage exercise, walking and biking are the two things they all encourage! Do what you feel comfortable with. You can't really hurt the stent.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Omega 3 (Harp Seal Oil): One of the Best Supplement for Heart Diseases
Omega 3 is a must for Heart Disease, especially Harp Seal Oil Omega3. More Info(Harp Seal Oil vs. Fish Oil) I prefer canadian products ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center