Skip to content
What Are The Best Cooking Fats?
Byroney_WebMD_Staff posted:
Monosaturated? Saturated? Omega-3? Omega-6? What is the 4-1-1 on using oils for cooking? Luckily, Elaine Magee, the Healthy Recipe Doctor has sorted that all out for us in her latest blog, What are the Best Cooking Fats?

"I'm asked this question a lot. People are confused when faced with the prospect of choosing a cooking oil. They want to know which fats are the most healthful to use in cooking." Find out more by following the link.

Do you have a favorite use for healthy oils in cooking?

Byroney

DeadManWalking57 responded:
Hmmm.

Having severe heart disease, I have been sternly warned to avoid fried things as much as possible, that any oil is essentially ruined healthwise from high temperature cooking.

Drizzle a favorite oil on fruit or veggies, a salad, or baked potato, but cook with it ? May as well take a chain saw to yourself.

Spray on a little PAM, no oil in your pans at all.

If its bad for me, it can't be good for you.

Byroney_WebMD_Staff replied to DeadManWalking57's response:
DMW, thanks for posting. You reminded me how much I like my spray on olive oil. Just a light misting so things don't stick, and the can lasts a long time. I use the store brand so I save a bit of money, too.

Byroney

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

A Word A DayGuest Expert
It is important to keep physically fit. But it is just as critical to stay mentally fit as well. One form of mental aerobics is to learn a ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 11 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center