Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Mediastinum
ChristinaD87 posted:
I recently went to the ER due to chest pains, I just followed up with my
primary care physician today and they gave me all of the hospital
notes. As I read over it I was wondering what the phrase,
"mild stranding in the anterior mediastinum is seen probably age related changes" meant. is mild stranding something to worry about or to get checked out? They also noted, "There do appear to be small medastinal lymph nodes."

I want to fully understand what is going on, so I know whether its something to worry about.

thanks for your help.

-Christina

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hello and welcome, Christina!

I'm sorry to hear about the chest pains, but I'm glad you followed up with your physician. The best way to get an accurate understanding of the ER notes, is to ask your doctor. He or she has your full hospital records to refer to, and can put the phrases into context as they apply to you.

Your doctor will be able to explain them and hopefully put your mind at ease.

Write back with an update if you get a chance,

Mare
Nothing in life is to be feared. It is only to be understood. -Marie Curie

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Mediterranean DietGuest Expert
The Mediterranean diet has long been recognized as a booster of heart health. It is linked to lower risks of heart disease, stroke, ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 11 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center