Skip to content
BP reading different in each arm
Springtimefl posted:
I am a 52 year old over weight female with diabetes, asthma, as well as being treated for high blood pressure/cholesterol and sleep apnea. I saw my primary physician yesterday who mentioned my BP reading was different by 20 in each arm (120/72 vs 90/68). I asked if that was okay, and he said we would look at it later. I took my BP at home today and it was 123/78 in the left arm and 107/68 in the right arm. I am currently on BP medication. Should I be concerned? I go back to my physician in a month. Thank you.

CardiostarUSA1 responded:
Hi: Usually, but not always, there is only a small difference between blood pressure (BP, systolic and diastolic) readings in both arms. It is reported that if the technique for taking the BP readings is good (accurate as possible), it's likely that the respective readings accurately reflect the pressure in each arm, BUT the higher reading reflects the "true" BP. As applicable, if/when there is a clinically significant/substantial difference in BP between one arm and the other (such as hypertension in one arm), this may/can be due to factors and conditions, such as coarctation (narrowing, congenital) of the aorta, aortic dissection (tear in the wall of the aorta), atherosclerosis (plaque buildup), and thrombosis/embolism (blood clot) in an artery in the arm. Also, the right and left subclavian artery supplies oxygenated blood to the arms, and in a condition known as subclavian artery stenosis (SAS, most often acquired in life), BP will be lower in the arm with the narrowed subclavian (typically one artery is affected) artery, thus accordingly causing reduced blood flow through it. BP begins to rise as one awakens, peaks in the late afternoon or evening, and then drops off gradually, becoming the lowest when sleeping. Normal resting blood BP in adults is under 120/80 with 115/75 or 110/70 considered as being optimal/ideal. Take care CardioStar☆ WebMD community member (8/99) - - b ☑Be well-informed Family Doctor b Blood Pressure Monitoring at Home familydoctor.org/128.xml WebMD b Heart Disease TYPES Men/Women www.webmd.com/heart-disease/heart-disease-men b SYMPTOMS my.webmd.com/content/pages/9/1675_57855.htm Mayo Clinic b Heart Disease Definition. Symptoms. Causes. Risk factors. Complications. Tests and diagnosis. Treatments and drugs. Prevention...... Heart disease is a broad term used to describe a range of diseases that affect your heart, and in some cases, your blood vessels. The various diseases that fall under the umbrella of.... www.mayoclinic.com/health/heart-disease/DS01120 b HeartSite Heart info, cardiac tests (commonly performed types) info, actual diagnostic images. www.heartsite.com - b Good to know, for the primary and secondary prevention of heart attack and brain attack Epidemiologic studies have revealed risk factors for atherosclerosis (typically affects coronary, carotid, peripheral arteries), which includes age, gender, genetics (gene deletion, malfunction, mutation), diabetes (highest risk factor), smoking (also secondhand), inactivity, obesity (a global epidemic, "globesity"), hypertension, diet high in fat, saturated fat and cholesterol, high LDL, high Lp(a), high ApoB, high Lp-PLA2, high triglycerides, LOW HDL (less than 40 mg/dL, an HDL level of 60/65 mg/dL or more is considered protective against coronary artery disease), high homocysteine, and high C-reactive protein (CRP/hs-CRP). - WebMD b Choosing a Weight-Loss Program www.webmd.com/diet/guide/choosing-weight-loss-program b The Diet Channel www.thedietchannel.com - - Health A to Z b Making the Most of Your Doctor Visits www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz/Atoz/common/standard/transform.jsp?requestURI=/healthatoz/Atoz/hc/men/life/alert05132004.jsp HealingWell b You and Your Doctor: It Takes Two to Tango Your medical care is a two way street...... www.healingwell.com/library/health/article.asp?author=salvucci&id=5 i Quote "Be a questioning patient. Talk to your doctor and ask questions. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!" - Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society . It's your future......be there. :-) . . b ☛WebMD/WebMD message boards does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.

James_Beckerman_MD responded:
If you consistently have different blood pressure readings in each arm, then it is definitely worth exploring. One of the more common causes is something called sublclavian artery stenosis, in which one of the originating blood vessels to the arm has a blockage or a kink in it that decreases blood flow to the arm. I recommend continuing to check it in both arms so that you have a list of readings, and then you can share them with your doctor. If you have any symptoms, like chest pain, back pain, or any other concerning symptoms, I recommend that you see him/her sooner. Take care.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

To keep a Healthy heart
Try concentrate on cholesterol free food ,reduce or totally avoid tobacco smoking and exercisefor about 30 minutes. More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center