Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
high BP and christian goodman
jayboy4 posted:
after a lot of monitoring, it has been determined that i have high blood pressure, high enough to rate stage 1 hypertension. i am leery of BP medication because of potential side-effects. in doing internet research i came across christian goodman's hypertension program, in which he claims you can reduse your BP though a variety of relaxation techniques and exercises. are you familiar with his program, and if so, what is your take on this?

CardiostarUSA1 responded:
Hi: b "Am leery of BP medication because of potential side effects." We hear ya on that. b "Came across Christian Goodman's hypertension program" Can't comment about that program, though as posted previously, do check out/re-check out - About com Alternative Medicine b Natural Treatments for High Blood Pressure altmedicine.about.com/cs/herbsvitaminsek/a/Hypertension.htm AND [Not a product endorsement> b RESPeRate www.resperate.com/usb/welcome/index.aspx . Additionally here, normal resting blood pressure (BP) in adults is under 120/80 with 115/75 or 110/70 considered as being optimal/ideal. Prehypertension is defined as systolic of 120-139 mmHg and diastolic of 80-89 mmHg. Stage 1 is systolic of 140 to 159 and diastolic 90 to 99. Stage II is systolic of 160 to 179 and diastolic of 100 to 109. Stage III is systolic greater than 180 and diastolic greater than 110. Stage IV is systolic of 210 and greater and diastolic of 120 and greater. As reported, health dangers from BP vary among different age groups and depending on whether systolic, diastolic or both is elevated. Elevated BP, isolated diastolic hypertension, isolated systolic hypertension and diastolic/systolic hypertension, increases the risk of cardiovascular disease, cerebrovascular disease, and renovascular disease. High systolic BP appears as a significant indicator for heart complications, including death, in all ages, but especially in middle-aged and older adults. High diastolic pressure is a strong predictor of heart attack and brain attack in young adults and in those of any age with essential hypertension, high BP from unknown causes, which occurs in the great majority of cases. Additionally, pulse pressure is important. This is the difference between systolic and diastolic. Usually, the resting (in sitting position) pulse pressure in healthy individuals is 40 mmHg, give or take a bit. A consistently narrow (say 20-25 or less) or consistently wide (say 60-65 or more) pulse pressure is not good. Taking BP measurements when at rest and relaxed will help yield more consistent readings. If one has had a peaceful night's sleep, then measurements are best taken as soon as one awakes in the morning, as at this time of the day, the body will be at its lowest functioning levels, both physically and mentally, and therefore the factors that affect BP will be minimized. BP peaks in the late afternoon or evening, and then drops off gradually. One should try to take the BP at the same time(s) every day. Take good care C-☆ WebMD community member (8/99) - - b ☑Be well-informed Family Doctor b Blood Pressure Monitoring at Home familydoctor.org/128.xml Mayo Clinic b Get the most out of home blood pressure monitoring www.mayoclinic.com/health/high-blood-pressure/HI00016 b 5 medication-free strategies to help prevent heart disease You can prevent heart disease by following a heart-healthy lifestyle. www.mayoclinic.com/health/heart-disease-prevention/WO00041 - i Quote "Be a questioning patient. Talk to your doctor and ask questions. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!" - Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society . b It's your future......be there. :-) . . b ☛WebMD/WebMD message boards does not provide medical advice. b ☛WebMD does not endorse any specific product, service, or treatment.

James_Beckerman_MD responded:
I am not familiar with the program. However, relaxation and exercise (not at the same time!) are good for you, even if you don't have high blood pressure. Also, a healthy low-sodium diet high in fiber, fish, fruits, and vegetables could be helpful too. But at some point, if blood pressure medication is necessary to bring your numbers down, I really do recommend it. Potential side effects are one thing. Potential heart attacks and strokes are another... Something to think about!

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Nix Grapefruit & Statin DrugsExpert
Grapefruit & statin drugs can be a bad combination. Unlike other citrus fruits, grapefruit contains substances that disable certain ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 15 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center