Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Chest pain after cold drink
An_193141 posted:
After taking a drink of a Sonic slush I thought I would get the "brain freeze", instead I experienced extreme pain in my chest. I was luckly in my car, parked, about to get out when this happened. It made me very, very sick to my stomach, dizzy and started sweating. I actually thought I might pass out so I closed my eyes and turned up the air in hopes it would pass. I came close to calling 911 but kept waiting for it to ease off. After about 15 minutes it did start to ease a bit and after 5 more minutes was able to get out of the car. Since that experience I have tried to really watch drinking anything cold, but I would like to know if this is a sign of something serious. I do have GERD and a Barrett's Esophosus and have recently had a echocardiogram. I did just start back on blood pressure medication due to my last Dr. visit blood pressure reading was 180/96. It stays at a good rate now with the medication.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
I think a call to your doctor is completely appropriate in this situation.

Here's an article about 12 Heart Symptoms to Never Ignore
You had a few of these!

Please check back in and let us know what you found out -

Haylen

missilka responded:
I've had the same thing happen. It only happens when I drink something very, very cold, like a slushy. I thought I was just weird. My friends get a brain freeze. I get a LUNG FREEZE. The pain in my chest is so bad that it actually makes me bend over in agony. Yes, it hurts until it subsides. Needless to say, I don't drink very cold drinks anymore. I have never told my doctor about it, but I've had good heathy checkups.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Free Q&A: Heart Disease and Stress Management (2/10/11)
Hello! Lancaster General Health in Lancaster, PA is hosting a free online Q&A session on "Heart Disease and Stress Management" on ... More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 13 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center