Skip to content
35 BPM. I'm scared.
AnaMaria87 posted:
I arrived home today from the hospital after spending a day in the ER and the night in the hospital. I was discharged this afternoon. I was sent to the ER after going to my school clinic because of fatigue and dizziness. My resting heart rate is 35-38. When I get up and move around, it goes up normally. I was seen by a cardiologist who said that I could go home because I was healthy, my blood and urine tests showed no abnormalities... except a low count in platelets and white blood cells. Now I'm getting really scared. I think I'm imagining chest pains. I have also had amenorrhea for the past 3 years. I am athletic, but nowhere near an Olympic level. I'm a 21-year-old woman, 5'3" and weigh 128 lbs. Thanks for any advice/suggestions!

CardiostarUSA1 responded:
Hi: Scared no doubt. Normal resting range heart/pulse (H/P) rate in adults is 60-100 beats per minute (BPM). Average resting H/P rate in men is 72-78 BPM and in women is 78-84 BPM. Under 60 BPM is bradycardia (slow heartbeat). Some individuals normally have a low resting H/P rate without any problems as bradycardia may/can cause no symptoms. Bradycardia may/can also cause concerning symptoms such as lightheadedness or dizziness, confusion, weakness or episodes of syncope/fainting/passing out. The examination and treatment that one receives at the ER is not intended as a substitute for complete "all-around" medical care by/from one's regularly seen doctor(s). ALWAYS be proactive in your health care and treatment. Most important, communicate/interact well with your doctor(s). Best of luck down the road of life. Live long and prosper. Take care CardioStar☆ WebMD community member (8/99) - - b ☑Be well-informed Heart Rhythm Society Patients and Public Information Center b Slow Heartbeat Abnormally slow heart rates are typically those below 60 beats a minute and either can be relatively harmless or life threatening. www.hrspatients.org/patients/signs_symptoms/too_slow.asp St. Jude Medical b Bradyarrhythmia (Slow Heart Rate) The two most common causes of bradycardia are diseases of the.... www.sjm.com/conditions/condition.aspx?name=Bradyarrhythmia+(Slow+Heart+Rate) Cigna / Healthwise b Bradycardia (Slow Heart Rate) www.cigna.com/healthinfo/aa107571.html - WebMD b Heart Disease TYPES Men and Women i Acquired in life or congenital (born with it) www.webmd.com/heart-disease/heart-disease-men b Heart Disease SYMPTOMS www.webmd.com/heart-disease/guide/heart-disease-symptoms Mayo Clinic b Heart Disease Definition. Symptoms. Causes. Risk factors. Complications. Tests and diagnosis. Treatments and drugs. Lifestyle and home remedies. Alternative medicine. Prevention.... Heart disease is a broad term used to describe a range of diseases that affect your heart, and in some cases, your blood vessels. The various diseases that fall under the umbrella of heart disease include diseases of your blood vessels, such as coronary artery disease; heart rhythm problems (arrhythmias); and heart defects...... www.mayoclinic.com/health/heart-disease/DS01120 Mayo Clinic b 5 medication-free strategies to help prevent heart disease You can prevent heart disease by following a heart-healthy lifestyle. www.mayoclinic.com/health/heart-disease-prevention/WO00041 b HeartSite Heart info, cardiac tests (commonly performed, mainstream types) info, actual diagnostic images. www.heartsite.com - - Health A to Z b Making the Most of Your Doctor Visits www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz/Atoz/common/standard/transform.jsp?requestURI=/healthatoz/Atoz/hc/men/life/alert05132004.jsp HealingWell b You and Your Doctor: It Takes Two to Tango Your medical care is a two way street... www.healingwell.com/library/health/article.asp?author=salvucci&id=5 . i Quote "Be a questioning patient. Talk to your doctor and ask questions. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!" - Charles Inlander, People's Medical Socirty . It's your future......be there. :-) . . b ☛WebMD/WebMD message board does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.

James_Beckerman_MD responded:
I can understand why this is scary - a heart rate of 35 is low - but it sounds like you have been evaluated by your doctor and felt to be safe. You hit upon an important point in evaluating whether a slow heart rate is acceptable. It's not only your heart rhythm that's important, but also your heart's response to exercise/stress. There are some causes of low heart rates that are treatable, such as thyroid disease. Given that you are amenorrheic, this might be a good thing to get checked if it hasn't been already. Take care.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Mediterranean DietGuest Expert
The Mediterranean diet has long been recognized as a booster of heart health. It is linked to lower risks of heart disease, stroke, ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 12 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center