Skip to content
Dr. Harrison: 72/F w/COPD /carotid stent, possible PAD worsening symptoms
sabine48 posted:
Dr. Harrison, in hopes of using as few words as possible I am worried about my mom.

Female - 72, carotid stent 5 1/2 years ago for blockage of left carotid. Procedure redone because of scar tissue buildup. Followups each year checked out well with ultrasound and a couple of stress related tests for leg & foot pains as much as 3 years ago. She also has COPD but it is manageable without medication or inhalers. Dr. did say at last cardio checkup that he thought there might be a little blockage in one of her calves when he listened w/stethoscope but thought since tests didn't show any real blockage she was good to go until her next check up.

In the last one or two weeks the pains became more intense in right calf, tightening and aching pain causing a lot of discomfort, even at rest unless she tries to massage, that gives a little relief for a time. Left calf is also starting to give trouble, also with walking. She is normally a very active 72 year old, used to walk on treadmill daily until about a month and a half ago she got busy traveling for a time and had no access. Has also has had pain in her feet & toes, having had spasms at rest, usually in the morning early when she wakes and if she tries to stretch at all then her feet & toes give her a lot of pain, it all sounds like a muscle problem except I am truly beginning to think it might be vascular in her calf area. She is tired easy more recently, very unlike her because she is always physically on the go.

My question, her appt. was for late in June,the dr.'s office agreed to move up the date when I explained the situation, minus the fact that I just learned she has also been much more tired than normal, I didn't get a chance to tell them that, I just found out from my mom.

We are seeing her cardio dr. for stress tests and ultrasound tests on the 7th. I worry it isn't soon enough. Is there anything we should be watchful for that might worsen between now and then? Should we insist on getting in sooner? I don't know if that is possible but would like to know your thoughts.

Sorry, it got longer than I hoped. Thank you for your time. Hoping to hear from you please.

sabine48 responded:
My apologies for getting your last name wrong Dr. Harrington.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

A Word A DayGuest Expert
It is important to keep physically fit. But it is just as critical to stay mentally fit as well. One form of mental aerobics is to learn a ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 10 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center