Skip to content
Worried about possible heart disease
smj5353 posted:
I am concerned that I am having the signs of heart disease. I am a 30 year old male. I weigh 225 and I am 5'4. I have sleep apnia that is being treated. I have lost 20 pounds over the last year and I am doing my best to loose more. For at least 10 years I have had palpatations, felt like my heart was skipping beats. I would get this once in a while. But 3 years ago I had an episode that lasted the whole day. I went to the emergency room, visited my doctor and saw a cardioligist and they all said I was fine. I explained to them that I would get twinges of pain in my chest sometimes after a palpatation episode. The cardiologist had me do a a stress echocardiogram and they said everything was fine. I had that test 3 years ago.

I see my general doctor everyear. For the last 3 years he does an EKG and my cholesterol levels (including HDL and LDL) are always at good levels. My last choloseterol test was aroun 170 with HDL and LDL at a very good level.

Lately, within the last month, I notice twinges of dull pain in my left arm a few times a day and twinges of pain in my upper chest near my shoulder and collar bone. I am concerened and called my physician he said that based on everything in my past (the past tests) that he beleives it is not my heart. I thought maybe it was a heart attack but my pain is no where near crippling and I feel pretty good otherwise. In anycase he didn't have any appiontments til Aug 4th so I see him then. Should I worry? I had that a stress echocardiogram test 3 years ago and I know things change! I have been watching my diet more (though I know I can do better). I am just worried I am going to have or maybe I had a heart attack. Plus in 2 weeks I have a trip booked and now I am worried about flying. My doctor seems to think I am okay and he usually is very thourough with me but this time I feel like he is not being thourough. Should I worry. Thank You.

CardiostarUSA1 responded:
Hi:

It has been known for quite some time now that atherosclerosis begins (the process/progression of) at a very early age, even as early as in the pre-teen/teenage years.

Studies performed in the past have shown fatty streaks (represents the earliest precursor to plaque development and plaque is the pathological hallmark of atherosclerosis) as the beginning of atherosclerosis in the coronary arteries. Soft plaque (more dangerous and unpredictable than hard or calcified plaque) is the early stage of atherosclerosis.

A study in the prestigious NEJM showed just how prevalent this problem is. Researchers performed autopsies on young soldiers who had died in combat from conditions other than CAD.

Almost all the individuals had fatty streaks in the aorta (the largest artery in the human body). 50% of individuals under the age of 16 years and 85% of individuals under the age of 40 had them in their coronary arteries. More advanced atheroscleotic blockages were found in 30% of individuals under 20 years and 60% of individuals under 40 years old.

The prevalence of these lesions directly correlated with increasing body weight, blood pressure, and cholesterol levels. Cigarette smokers also had more widespread blockages.

Best of luck down the road of life. Live long and prosper.

Take care,

CardioStar*

WebMD member (since 8/99)

-

-

Be well-informed

WebMD

Heart Disease TYPES

Acquired in life or congenital (born with it)

Men and Women

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/heart-disease-men

Heart Disease SYMPTOMS

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/guide/heart-disease-symptoms

Mayo Clinic

Heart Disease

Definitions. Symptoms. Causes. Risk factors. Complications. Tests and diagnosis. Prevention.....

Heart disease is a broad term used to describe a range of diseases that affect your heart, and in some cases, your blood vessels......

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/heart-disease/DS01120

LEARN ABOUT the Heart

WebMD

The Heart: (Human Anatomy) Pictures, Definition, Location in the Body and Heart Problems

http://www.webmd.com/heart/picture-of-the-heart

HeartSite

Heart info, cardiac tests info, actual diagnostic images.

http://www.heartsite.com

-

Good to know, for the primary and secondary prevention of heart attack and brain attack/stroke

Epidemiologic studies (EDS) have revealed risk factors (encompasses some new, novel, emerging) for atherosclerosis (typically affecting the carotid, coronary, and peripheral arteries), which includes age, gender, genetics (gene deletion, malfunction, or mutation), diabetes (considered as being the highest risk factor), smoking (includes second/thirdhand), inactivity, obesity (a global epidemic, "globesity"), high blood pressure (hypertension), high LDL, small, dense LDL, RLP (remnant lipoprotein), high Lp(a), high ApoB, high Lp-PLA2, high triglycerides, HDL2b, LOW HDL (less than 40 mg/dL, an HDL level of 60/65 mg/dL or more is considered protective against coronary artery disease), high homocysteine (now questionable), and high C-reactive protein (CRP/hs-CRP).

-

WebMD

Choosing a Weight-Loss Program

http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/choosing-weight-loss-program

The Diet Channel

http://www.thedietchannel.com

-

Quote!

Be a questioning patient. Talk to your doctor and ask questions. Studies show that patients who ask the most questions, and are most assertive, get the best results. Be vigilant and speak up!"

- Charles Inlander, People's Medical Society

It's your future......be there. :-)

. .

WebMD/WebMD Health Exchanges DOES NOT provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment

Aarky responded:
I hope not to hurt your feelings, but you need to lose at least 70 lbs. You are worried about a heart attack, but with that much extra weight, you could also be in danger of diabetes. My son had a had hard time trying to quit smoking until I handed him $20 and told him to put up the extra $30 and try hypnotism. He has never smoked again and it was an amazing cure. Everyone is different, but you should try that route. If you lose those 70 lbs, most of your physical problems will probably go away.

smj5353 replied to Aarky's response:
No hard feelings! I know I need to loose around 70lb for proper BMI. It's so hard, as you know, but I have to do better. I still don't feel great. I spoke to my doctor again and stil thinks that based on my past it is not my heart. But I am strongly thinking of visiting the emergency room tonight.

Thanks for your words.

smj5353 replied to smj5353's response:
I went to the ER last night because of the pains. They felt a bit more intense and lasted longer. They did an EKG, chest Xray and blood tests for heart enzymes (twice they ran the test) and they said that all signs showed nothing acute - no heart trouble thankfully! They said to follow up with a doctor. I am seeing a cardiologist on Monday.

But while I was in the ER they put a blood port into my left arm. I had it in for about 4 hours. I guess it makes it easy for them to draw blood or hook up an IV line. I hate to sound crazy and I know I am making myself nervous but this port hurt me a lot and I told the nurse three times. She kept saying the tape thy used to secured it was pulling at my hairs. But I explained to her I felt pains going to my chest when I breathed in. But they kept telling me all my vitals were fine.

I come home and know I have a new pain in my left arm and when I breathe in their is a dull pain in my upper left of my chest near my shoulder. I told them how I felt before I left the hospital but they told me to relax.

My question is could the blood port cause such pain that travels? Should I be concerned. I feel like I am going nuts.

Thanks again.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Mediterranean DietGuest Expert
The Mediterranean diet has long been recognized as a booster of heart health. It is linked to lower risks of heart disease, stroke, ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 12 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center