Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Can Ejection Fraction be improved by exercise?
southjerseyjoe posted:
My wife is in remission from leukiemia. almost 5 years... Her heart seems to have sustained some damage from the chemo used. Her ejection fraction has dropped from 65 percent before it started to just under 50 percent now. She has an appointment with a cardiologist next week, but I was wondering if execise will help improve this condition...

11CUPS responded:
In most all cases yes, exercise will help her EF along with a good diet. You most definitely want to mention this to the cardiologist in case there is an seperate underlying heart disease. My best guess is that the treatment received from the leukemia may have weakened her heart a little. EF need to be checked constantly when there is a definite heart disease, but are usually are not a serious problem until they go under 40.

James Beckerman, MD, FACC responded:
Ejection fraction can improve in some people on proper medical therapy. While exercise doesn't result in the significant improvement in heart function (in most studies) that we'd hope for, it can improve quality of life and functional capacity. I'd talk with the cardiologist about an exercise prescription and whether cardiac rehabilitation could be a possibility. Take care!

mickyblueyes responded:
I have had atrial fib for over 15 years and two years ago my ejection fraction dropped to 30. I exercised (mainly walking, push-op, squats and pull-ups) and took COQ10. Because the exercise was not consistent, nor very intense, I credit COQ10 with bringing my EF back up to 45 in just over 1 year (I am now 76). Make sure you purchase Ubiquinol not ubiquinone. The former is water soluble, the latter is fat soluble.

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Mediterranean DietGuest Expert
The Mediterranean diet has long been recognized as a booster of heart health. It is linked to lower risks of heart disease, stroke, ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 12 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center