Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Enlarged Right Ventricle
anelson40 posted:
I recently had an echocardiogram and it showed that I have a mildly enlarged right ventricle. I was wondering what could be the underlying cause of this and if it may be something serious?

CardiostarUSA1 responded:
Hi:

In general-only here, causes of an enlarged (dilated) or thickened (hypertrophic) right ventricle (RV) includes, but is not limited to, certain congenital heart defects (e.g., a hole in the heart), tricuspid valve regurgitation (leakage), pulmonary stenosis, pulmonary hypertension and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).

Seriousness of the matter depende mainly on the specific cause and if/when the enlargement progresses and how fast, as right-sided heart failure (RSHF) may/can occur.

ALWAYS be proactive in your health care and treatment. Most important, communicate/interact well with your doctor(s).

Best of luck down the road of life.

Take care,

CardioStar*

WebMD member (since 8/99)

James Beckerman, MD, FACC responded:
It depends. In the absence of any other abnormalities such as tricuspid valve disease, right ventricular hypertrophy, pulmonary hypertension, or an ASD which would hopefully also be picked up on the echo, I would recommend keeping an eye on it, and discussing with your doctor an appropriate time to repeat the test.

CathyL08 replied to James Beckerman, MD, FACC's response:
Dr. Beckerman,
I am new to this blogging and didn't know how to enter my own...so I "replied"...I have suffered off and on with iron deficiency anemia and in the interim have been an avid blood donor...Which always made me feel better. After having gone through menopause (hysterectomy at 46), I am still having anemia problems. Now, two brothers have been diagnosed with hereditary hemochromatosis and suffered heart attacks before age 50. Can I suffer from anemai AND hemochromatosis?

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to CathyL08's response:
Hey Cathy! Welcome to the heart community - to post a new discussion, use the orange "Post Now" button right at the top of this column and choose "discussion" from the drop down choices.

Put in a title (address Dr. Beckerman if you are looking for expert input) type into the body of the message and click submit!

I'd suggest you repost your question this way so the doctor is sure to get it)

Haylen

CathyL08 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thank you for the assistance...

Featuring Experts

James Beckerman, MD, FACC, is a cardiologist at the Providence St. Vincent Heart Clinic in Portland, OR. He graduated summa cum laude from Harvard Col...More

Helpful Tips

Mediterranean DietGuest Expert
The Mediterranean diet has long been recognized as a booster of heart health. It is linked to lower risks of heart disease, stroke, ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 12 found this helpful

Expert Blog

The Heart Beat - James Beckerman, MD, FACC

Dr. James Beckerman shares how small, livable lifestyle changes can have a real impact on your risk of heart attack and stroke...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health General and Consultative Heart Care Center